Sunday, February 8, 2015

Likin' Hikin'

I don't know why I waste the energy to get down.  Thankfully, the Lord doesn't leave me there.  He is so good to me.  Last Monday when I got to work, there was an envelope on my desk, addressed to Andy and me.  When I opened it, I was amazed to see a $100 gift card for Shop Rite.  There was no signature, but God used this dear sweet person to encourage me, to let me know he hadn't forgotten me/us.  

Then a little later that same morning, a friend called to say she wanted to get a group of us women/friends together to spend some time in praying for each other - another bit of encouragement from the Lord.

Tuesday was a beautiful day with blue skies and dazzling sun.  Although it was very cold, we ventured out to explore the Pinelands Preservation Association headquarters.  This is a historic farmhouse built in the 1600's by English Quakers, located near Vincentown.  We were hoping to pick up another brochure that friends had given us, but we didn't see any like what we were looking for.  

I was hoping to pick up another brochure like the one we already have because we have been referring to it a lot, and I am afraid it's going to become worn out.  It's titled Pine Barrens & Beyond for Burlington County and shows 40 parks in Burlington County.  So this is our new "bucket list:"  checking out all 40 parks listed in this brochure.

The brochure is divided into 4 areas: 1)  Heart of the Pines, 2)  Farmland, Forest & Folklore, 3)  Fertile Floodplains and 4)  River's Edge and Ecotones.  Out of the 40 parks, we've already been to only 16 of them.  So there are lots more to explore.  

Hiking is actually a very good activity for us to do.  Since we won't be traveling to National Parks any more, this is a way we can still enjoy the great outdoors and nature.  And we have been so impressed with the beauty of our own back yard, so to speak.  

Yesterday and today were both fairly mild for this time of the year so we ventured out.  The trails are pretty muddy and messy, with snow and ice in sections.  But that just makes the hike more adventuresome.

Yesterday we drove out to Pemberton to check out the Stavola Beechwoods Preserve.  "This site offers easy access and convenient trails through an interesting wooded area in the headwaters of the Rancocas Creek.  Old growth beech trees adorn scenic streamside overlooks where a good variety of plants and animals can be found."













You can canoe the Rancocas Creek 14 miles from Vincentown to Mt. Holly.  I imagine it would be a pretty fast ride in the spring with the snow melt.  

Today's adventure was quite different.  Bear Swamp at Red Lion Preserve sounded somewhat exotic but in some ways was disappointing.  "This preserve is recognized by New Jersey Audubon as an important bird area and offers a wide range of habitats.  Pitch pine lowlands and Atlantic white cedar swamps are joined by remnant cranberry bogs and shrub meadows, harboring many breeding songbirds..."

We parked on the shoulder of the road but there was only a very short trail that led to a utility road for the high tension wires.  The trail in the woods was heavily trashed, with two dead deer by the side of the road and bullet holes in the sign - we're obviously in red neck territory!





Beautiful Atlantic white cedars

 


Well, I'm not sure this one qualifies as a park.  But we can cross that one off our list.  I doubt we'll ever be back.

I'm very grateful that we found something that we both enjoy and can still do with a minimum of exertion.  It's getting us out in the great outdoors for some exercise and the chance for our souls to be restored and revitalized.

Andy is feeling better, but still on antibiotics for another couple of weeks.  We saw the urologist on Wednesday, and he wants us to get an ultrasound of his kidneys to make sure everything is ok.  Then we'll need to go back to see him again in 2 weeks.

We were pretty excited that we had no doctor appointments for 2 whole months (November & December).  But in the last couple of weeks, we've been to several doctors 3 times, plus innumerable trips to the pharmacy to pick up medications.  I think Rite Aid would go out of business if it weren't for us.  But Andy and I have often observed to each other that if it weren't for antibiotics, he would have died years ago.  So thank God for preserving his life through doctors and modern medicines.

No comments: