Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Of what does life consist?



Jesus warned in Luke 12:16:  “Watch out!  Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; a man’s life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.”  I remember seeing a bumper sticker once that said:  “He who dies with the most toys, wins.”  I couldn’t help but think:  “Wins what?”

Our American culture just feeds our bent toward covetousness.  We accumulate all kinds of gadgets that supposedly make our life easier.  I confess my kitchen is full of my own toys.  I have a Cuisinart, Vitamix, 2 coffee makers (granted, one was given to me), toaster oven, mixer, blender, Zojirushi bread maker, electric potpourri pot (to make the house smell good, of course!).   And all these are only in my kitchen.  I’m not going to attempt to catalog everything in our basement, garage, shed and other rooms in the house.

Our culture is also obsessed with youth and good health.  As I’ve been chewing on Jesus’ warning about this life and what it consists of, I’ve included in my own thinking that neither does this life consist of being obsessed with eating the right foods, always feeling good, being fit and robust. 

The indisputable point is that we all die.  Life, as we know it here on earth, eventually ceases, stops, desists.  God has given us the desire to live, to fight for life, to keep going against all odds.  But the reality is:  Man is destined to die once, and after that to face judgment.”  (Hebrews 9:27)

So if life does not consist of the accumulation of possessions and good health, what does it consist of?  For me to live is Christ” (Philippians 1:21) and “godliness with contentment is great gain” (1 Timothy 6:6) and “His divine goodness has given me everything I need for life and godliness” (2 Peter 1:3).

It has always fascinated me how I feel closest to God, how loved I feel, when I face the deepest, darkest experiences.  How can that be?  You’d think that because God is sovereign, I’d wonder why He permits such trials.  I believe He could and He often does ease our pain.  But He also often does not answer our pleas for healing or comfort, because He knows that when we are weak is when we run to Him.  It is amazing how present He is, how comforting His Word, how life-sustaining it is to think about God’s goodness, grace, love, mercy, presence, understanding and care for me, His child.  As Peter told Jesus (John 6:68), “Lord, to whom shall we go?  You have the words of eternal life.”

An old time song affirms that “I’d rather have Jesus than anything.”  Why?  Because nothing compares to God’s greatness.  A newer song we’ve been singing lately at church has really ministered to me, speaking of the character of God:

Forever Reign

You are good, You are good
When there's nothing good in me
You are love, You are love
On display for all to see
You are light, You are light
When the darkness closes in
You are hope, You are hope
You have covered all my sin

You are peace, You are peace
When my fear is crippling
You are true, You are true
Even in my wandering
You are joy, You are joy
You're the reason that I sing
You are life, You are life,
In You death has lost its sting

Oh, I'm running to Your arms,
I'm running to Your arms.
The riches of Your love
Will always be enough
Nothing compares to Your embrace
Light of the world forever reign

You are more, You are more
Than my words will ever say
You are Lord, You are Lord
All creation will proclaim
You are here, You are here
In Your presence I'm made whole
You are God, You are God
Of all else I'm letting go

Oh, I'm running to Your arms
I'm running to Your arms
The riches of Your love
Will always be enough
Nothing compares to Your embrace
Light of the world forever reign

My heart will sing
no other Name
Jesus, Jesus

Oh, I'm running to Your arms
I'm running to Your arms
The riches of Your love
Will always be enough

Songwriters
INGRAM, JASON / MORGAN, RUBEN

The riches of God's love will always be enough, even if everything else is taken away.

2 comments:

Ruth said...

Just beautiful, my friend. And true truth.

kristathereviewer said...

Hi Phyllis.
We prayed for you and Andy today. We prayed for people who send us Christmas photos. Sean picked your letter out yesterday. We prayed for your marriage, your relationships with God and that you would find joy in each day.
love, Krista (Nathan Yoder's wife)