Thursday, December 5, 2013

Thanksgiving 2013

The food we eat is important to our over all health.  Right?  Andy and I have always tried to eat sensibly.  We stay away from the SAD (Sad American Diet) consisting of processed "dead" foods and eat a lot of fruits and vegetables.  We've done so because Andy's had issues with his health for most of our married life.  Now that he has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's and Parkinson's, we've had several people tell us that coconut oil is good for those diseases.  I'm not very good at understanding the science behind all this, but I do wonder about the effectiveness of all the expensive drugs that are out there to treat all the diseases we have.  For one thing, there are so many side effects to any drug you take.  For another, they are extremely expensive and are advertised and pushed by the drug companies who stand to make a profit on what they sell.  There is a lot more written on this subject than I care to go into or even pretend to understand.  However, when we heard about the coconut oil helping people with Alzheimer's, we thought:  "what do we have to lose?"

So I bought some and have been experimenting with it in my cooking and baking.  I've been told it can replace regular oil and butter and shortening and it's so much better for you.  I jokingly call the coconut tree the "tree of life."

On Thanksgiving Day, Andy and I went over to Pa. to Andy's brother's for dinner.  I had been assigned to make a cherry pie and decided to experiment using coconut oil to replace the shortening in the crust.  It was easy to work with and, surprisingly, tasted like my usual cherry pie.



I even used coconut oil in place of butter in the crumbs.  It was irresistible.  So now we are healthier than ever!

Our girls and their families came down to our house the day after Thanksgiving since they spend the actual holiday with their in-laws.  We had lunch together.  Amy had made a big pot of chicken, bacon, rice soup.  Christy brought home made rolls.  I made a salad and Dawn made the dessert.  Oh, yes, I also made another cherry pie.



After lunch, we took a hike at a nearby park.  This is a holiday tradition for us.  This one was a little more memorable because one of the kids took off through the woods and stepped into a big puddle.  This made her socks and boots all muddy and her feet were soaked and cold which made her inconsolable.  After trying numerous solutions that met with failure and continued tears, we called it a day and went back home.  I think all the partying the day before had worn the little ones out and it was harder to "go with the flow," although I admit having cold wet feet is just cause for angst.

On Sunday evening, our FOCUS family (older singles group from church that we had led for a number of years) put on a dinner for Andy and me.  They really did it up nicely, with a program and special things to honor Andy and me.  We got a lot of attention and were treated royally.


No, I didn't eat the cake...I just did the silly pose. After all, I doubt it had been made with coconut oil.

After the dinner, there was a program where our "kids" came before us and "presented" us with words of tribute for what we meant to them.

Some of the things that were written on the signs were

1.  You taught me that nothing separates us from God's love.
2.  By purity, knowledge, long suffering, kindness by the Holy Spirit, our sincere love...you are loved.
3.  You have helped me in many ways and touched my heart.
4.  You are my friend (this was written by a 7 year old boy).
5.  You have the patience of a saint.
6.  You are a comforting voice when the storms of life are raging.
7.  Time and again, you've chosen to listen, THEN give good counsel.
8.  Thank you for your fruit of the Spirit - gentleness
9.  Thank you for being like a second father.
10.  Through you I received great comfort and assurance.
11.  We have a strange and wonderful relationship with you.  We're strange and you're wonderful.
12.  You are a great example to me of great ability coupled with great humility.
13.  You have the gifts of teaching and hospitality.
14.  You opened my eyes and helped me to trust God.

It was an emotionally touching evening with these dear people.  We love every one of them dearly.  They won their way into our hearts and we greatly value their friendship.  It was so good of God to bless us with this ministry.

The rest of the week has been busy.  But I have another story to tell of God's care and attention to the details of our lives.  Over the weekend, I kept telling Andy that I wanted the outside Christmas lights put up.  I could tell he wasn't thrilled with the idea.  He especially didn't want to get up on the ladder to put the icicle lights on the eaves.  I didn't blame him since he's somewhat unsteady on his feet, let alone up a ladder.  But like a dripping faucet, I kept reminding him that I wanted it done.  In fact, on Monday morning, I asked him to check the web for what the weather was going to be like on Tuesday.  He reported that it was going to be mild.  So I reminded him that it would be a great day to put up the Christmas lights.  He didn't comment, so I knew he really didn't want to do it.

Mid morning on Monday, I got a text from M who said J had been talking to her about how nice our house always looks at Christmas time with the lights and could they help us put them up for us.  Wow! Several calls and texts were exchanged, then it was all arranged that M, J & her husband M would show up on Tuesday at 11:00 to put up our lights.  And they did!  We had so much fun doing it together.  Even Andy got into the fun of it.  Of course, he didn't have to go up the ladder, he just stood at the bottom giving direction and encouragement.  


Now all we need is some snow and we're ready for Christmas!
Actually, I'm hoping we don't get much snow this year.  I'm happy enough to enjoy it through pictures of years ago.

Andy is actually doing pretty well these days.  We are scheduled to go to U of Penn on Tuesday for some research/testing on the Parkinson's.  It will be an all day affair but sounds pretty exciting.  I don't think I'll be involved, but plan to take my Kindle for reading and playing my games.  They're going to give us valet parking and a ticket for our meals for the day.  Even though Andy is still forgetful and at times, confused, he is still Andy.  He is still gentle, good, kind, loving, caring and comes out with some good and funny one-liners at the appropriate moments.  

We continue to enjoy the moments God gives us and try not to worry about the future.  Many people are praying for us for which we are extremely grateful.  He is answering all those prayers.

No comments: