For better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health...we've hit them all - but still together and still in love!
We wrote our own vows to each other:
Andy
Phyllis, it is my desire,
with God’s help, to love you and to seek your best interests above my own, to
love you even to the extent that Christ loved His church and was willing to
sacrifice Himself for her.
I promise to be strong in the
Lord, handling the responsibilities of being the leader of our home; and yet,
to be gentle enough to care for your deepest needs. Being the leader of our home, it is my
desire, to develop oneness in every area of our lives together, not to be unreasonable
or overbearing, but considerate and self-sacrificing in directing the affairs
of our home.
Our marriage involves the
whole of both of our beings - body, soul and spirit, and by God’s grace, I
promise to strive for our unity in these three areas, making Christ the center
of our lives, joint-heirs of the grace of life.
Phyllis
Andy, I love you…and I
promise, that by God’s help, I will always love you in every circumstance of
our life together. It is my prayer that
my love for you will continually grow deeper and become more meaningful each
day of our lives; that I will give self-sacrificially of myself to you, that I
will be more concerned for your welfare than for my own, and that I will be
totally committed to pleasing you.
I consider it a privilege
that God has chosen me to be your wife - to share the joys and sorrows of life
with you. I promise to do my best to be
a comfort to you during the difficulties and to rejoice with you during the
good times. I promise to confide in you
and share myself with you. I will not
only speak, but I will also listen with love and respect to what you have to
say. I want to be a loving and
understanding wife and to fulfill the needs you have as a man and as a person.
My goal and objective as your
wife is to follow God’s standard for marriage - that of being in submission to
you as the leader of our home. I promise
to encourage and support you in the decisions you make, to be faithful to you
as long as we live and to be honest with you.
Andy, before God and these
witnesses, I give myself to you so that together we may serve God and others.
Andy was and is a wonderful example to me of a godly husband. In fact, I once had a woman ask me what I thought of a guy she was dating. She was on the fence about continuing the relationship, so I asked her: does he treat you the way Andy treats me? She confessed he did not, and she ended the relationship. Andy always treats me with gentleness, kindness, care and love, encouraging me to use my gifts and abilities, and when I do, praising me and acting like I'm the best there ever was!
Our marriage isn't perfect, by any definition, because we are imperfect people, but we consider ourselves blessed to enjoy the life God has given us.
Andy was and is a wonderful example to me of a godly husband. In fact, I once had a woman ask me what I thought of a guy she was dating. She was on the fence about continuing the relationship, so I asked her: does he treat you the way Andy treats me? She confessed he did not, and she ended the relationship. Andy always treats me with gentleness, kindness, care and love, encouraging me to use my gifts and abilities, and when I do, praising me and acting like I'm the best there ever was!
Our marriage isn't perfect, by any definition, because we are imperfect people, but we consider ourselves blessed to enjoy the life God has given us.



No comments:
Post a Comment