Saturday, December 17, 2011

The "N" Word

December in our family means Nativity. But it's not just a little manger scene. It's so much more. Andy is the main player in getting it set up, which involves directing a crew of about 40-50 men and women the last Saturday in October and the first three Saturdays in November. It's pretty exciting to see a whole town of Bethlehem take shape. Andy and I kid around that I become a Nativity widow because all his Saturdays are spent on - yes, you guessed it - the "N" Word! It's a lot of work, time and expense, but in the end, it's so worth it. Where else can families bring their children to an activity that focuses on the real meaning of Christmas. Every year gets better and better. I make it a point to go through every year just to be reminded of the reason for the season. The Bible story comes to life and I am always blessed by the truths presented.

I've been thinking this season about how the God of the universe made Himself so small that He was able to enter the egg of a virgin woman. The God who hovered over the waters at creation, entered the waters of the womb. Amazing...what a miracle. And just as amazing is the spirit behind the act. The God of heaven emptied Himself and became a servant. He did not come to be served, but to serve.

We've had record attendance this year. The weather was mild which probably contributed to the higher attendance. Usually, out of the seven nights we run the Nativity, there are at least one or two nights that have to be canceled because of the weather. But not this year.

The first weekend, Kira took a turn at playing toddler Jesus. In that scene, the wise men bring their gifts to present to the King of the Jews. It's a cute scene and she did well.
The second weekend, Amy and Ricky came down to go through it. They brought Ricky's family and 2 deaf friends. I had lined up 2 deaf interpreters to go with us and interpret the dialog for Ricky's mom and dad and their friends. That worked out very well and they were able to enjoy the Nativity, too. After we saw the scenes, the cousins enjoyed being together and we all enjoyed the togetherness.

A big cookie for a little girl
Ummm...hot chocolate
So what is my role during the Nativity? I answer the phones in the office. This can be very interesting. These are the calls from people who are on their way and are lost. Every year there are some poor lost souls out there who call and want me to tell them where they are. Whew! It can be challenging to try to figure out where they are, then guide them in to the Living Nativity. There are moments of quiet so I take along a book to read. It's also a good time to get our Christmas letter written, addressed and stamped. People like to stop in and "visit" with me so it's really not a boring job even though I feel somewhat out of the action.

This year we had good weather and didn't have to cancel any of the 7 nights. That makes for record attendance. It was our best year ever with a total of 16,462 people who saw the Living Nativity in 2011.

No comments: