Thursday, June 2, 2011

The latest

Several weeks ago, I went to a friend’s house with a number of other women where we received some instruction on making green smoothies, growing our own sprouts and making kiefer. I was inspired and bought the Green Smoothie Revolution book. I found some recipes that appealed to me and have been experimenting. They don’t look appetizing unless you like the color green, but I have to tell you: they are delicious. What an ingenious way to get greens inside you: blend them into bits and add an apple, pear, banana or other fruit to give it sweetness. Very tasty!

Since coming home from vacation, I have been making them every night and refrigerating them for our breakfast. Andy is drinking them, too. We each have a quart every day. So we are now incredibly healthy! They are really delicious, even with such greens added as kale, chard, dandelion greens, beet greens and Romaine.


I have also been growing our own sprouts to add to our salads. I also add them to my sandwich wrap for lunch. I ordered a sample kit of seeds and have enough sprout seeds to last for years, I think.

This past weekend was Memorial Day weekend. I had 4 whole days off work and all in a row. I drove up to get my Mother on Saturday morning, then brought her back to our house for a couple of days. We were able to visit and play some games in the afternoon. At 4:00 pm, Tommy and Dawn came over to help us prepare for the picnic we were hosting for the church choir. It was so good of them to help us since Andy is a bit incapacitated on his crutches. So Tommy started the grill and ran over to church to get more chairs and tables to set up in the yard.

At 5:00 people started arriving for the picnic. It turned out to be a nice evening after all. The threatening rain never developed into more than a minute or two of sprinkles. We ended up with plenty of food that people brought. It was a happy evening with about 35 people present.


On Sunday, we went to church, then had our usual Sunday brunch of omelettes and waffles. Mother and I played some more games, then went over to Tommy and Dawn’s so Mother could see their house. They’ve been in nearly a year and Mother still hadn’t been to see it. Kira woke up and we stayed a little longer to play with and enjoy her. She is very entertaining right now.

Andy went with us to drive Mother home on Monday morning. We had a good weekend together, but now it’s back to realty. Monday afternoon was spent cleaning house, I did my usual Tuesday chores one day early this week. I also did some grocery shopping and again, Andy went with me. You know he must be bored if he goes shopping with me!


I'm glad I got all my cleaning and shopping done on Monday, because Tuesday I spent the morning with 3 other women cleaning out the women's ministry shed at church. It was supposed to be the hottest day of the year so far, but we started at 9:00 in the morning and it wasn't too bad. We worked hard for 2 solid hours and got it all organized and cleaned. We can actually walk around in there now. It was a great feeling of accomplishment to get that done. We finished just as the sun was getting high in the sky and we were running out of shade.

I spent almost 2 hours outside tonight after dinner in my gardens. They were getting quite weedy and I had been putting off being out there because of the heat. But it was a very pleasant evening and I got a lot done. Yeah!

2 comments:

Christy said...

The smoothies look yummy! I have been waiting to hear how Dad's surgery went but I guess I need to call. :) That is funny that he went grocery shopping with you! Not typical Dad.

Nancy Yoder said...

Christy, your Dad avoided playing games with your Mom and I. I laughingly tease him, that he takes too much time thinking. Your Mom and I had fun and some of these times I w2ill surprise everybody by adding to my blog. I have pix from April, May and now it is June!