Monday, May 23, 2011

Bloom Where You're Planted

Bloom Where You’re Planted is an expression that’s been around for awhile. It’s really a biblical concept, taken from passages like Philippians 4:11: “I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.”

It’s always so interesting to me whenever we visit the west, in more arid climates, how tenaciously plants, flowers and trees can grow on any little patch of dirt. Sometimes trees seem to be growing out of the tops of rocks, making us wonder how they can possibly put down roots. But somehow they do. Or like this one...what happened here? This tree's roots are up out of the dirt, making it look like it's walking up the hill!

Then there are the flowers. Andy and I were amazed at the variety of flowers we saw in Utah, a region that gets about 15 inches per year. (South Jersey averages 40-50 inches or rainfall a year.) There were lots of patches of bare rock and dirt, but then at various points, we would see a plant or bush in flower. The desert really has a special kind of beauty, especially when it is blooming.


And so with people. We may be in a dry place and going through a rough time, but if we can keep our eyes on Jesus and display contentment and joy, His beauty shines through.

2 comments:

Nancy Yoder said...

You are your Mother's daughter! I always like to take pictures of flowers. So nice. I think some times when I am weeding or mulching- in heaven we can just enjoy beauty with no weeds!

Christy said...

Those flowers are really cool! That is amazing that they grow in those conditions. I love the tree too!