Wednesday, June 15, 2011

I don't have a lot to say but I just have to update this blog because I get a little sick every time I have to look at the picture of Andy's foot!

There has not been much call for yard work because of a lack of rain. However, I'm expecting that to change since we've had showers the last 3-4 evenings. We were not home yesterday so I was so excited to discover that we'd had a half inch of rain while we were gone! I'm sure that will encourage the grass to grow again (which will then need to be mowed) as well as the weeds (which will then need to be pulled).

Andy's foot is improving and he is finally able to wear a sock. He is also getting around without crutches, being able to put weight on the heel of his right foot. And he is once more driving himself on short little excursions. Fortunately, it's only 1 mile to and from church. So progress is being made. I think he's getting eager to start working around the house again. The kitchen window project is so visible to us - a constant reminder that it is waiting to be completed.

In light of the fact that he still can't do a lot physically, we decided to use our day off to visit Amy & family. We left after our lunch time and arrived early afternoon. Amy was hoping to make strawberry freezer jam and had already started. But Katy was wanting to be held, so I stepped in and helped her with that project. I would have gladly held Katy but she seemed to want Mommy, so Amy was making jam with a baby on her hip. With the 2 of us working on it, we got a lot done - a whole flat of strawberries. I'm sure Amy will be posting pictures.

It was such a nice day, Andy and Chase were able to spend a lot of time outside. I didn't get any pictures of them because of working on the jam, but they played whiffle ball and another game Chase made up of throwing a ball into the empty strawberry flat from the top step of the porch. It's amazing how creative kids can be!

We didn't see much of Joanna because she spent the afternoon and evening in bed due to a discipline issue. But it was one of those instances of several factors working together to create the situation. And it brought back memories of our own parenting and how hard it is sometimes - a good reminder to be faithful in praying for our children as they raise their children.

Amy made a delicious dinner: chicken breasts stuffed with ricotta cheese and spinach. I made a salad. I used spring mix as the base and added diced apples and craisins. The other day I was looking in my cupboards and found some barley. I have a very good soup recipe that calls for barley but now that it's summer time, I'm not going to be making soup for a while. So I decided to cook up some barley and add that to the salad, too. I cooked it in chicken broth and it turned out to be quite tasty.

By the end of the evening, Katy was warming up to me and smiled for the camera. Of course, we were across the table from each other, maybe she felt safe!

I took 2 pictures the whole time we were at Amy's and I'm not happy with either of them. I'm afraid I'm not very good at seizing Kodak moments. So this is a picture-less blog this time.

I guess I had more to say than I thought as this turned out to be somewhat wordy.

1 comment:

Nancy Yoder said...

A blog without pix is like a day without sunshine!