Today is July 1st and it feels like spring. Cool and comfortable. June was so hot, the lawns are brown and burning up. We need rain badly. But at least yesterday and today are much more bearable. Perfect, actually. I even felt like doing some gardening last night after dinner.
Dawn and Tommy moved in to their house on Thursday - a week ago now. There are still things to be done and they have no hot water yet. But at least they're in. They are already experiencing the "joys" of home ownership.
Dawn and Tommy moved in to their house on Thursday - a week ago now. There are still things to be done and they have no hot water yet. But at least they're in. They are already experiencing the "joys" of home ownership.Summertime is so much busier than the winter. If it rains, there's grass to mow. If it doesn't rain, we need to get out there and water all those gardens. But I've still been able to read some interesting and challenging books lately. One was recommended to me by Christy: First Born Advantage by Kevin Leman.
This book really got me to thinking and re-evaluating my own life. He says first borns are born to win. They are clearly the movers and shakers in the world and can accomplish anything they set their minds to. But if they're out of balance, they can be overly perfectionistic, driven and critical. They can be controllers (everything has to go their way) or pleasers (exhausting themselves in meeting the demands of others).
This book really got me to thinking and re-evaluating my own life. He says first borns are born to win. They are clearly the movers and shakers in the world and can accomplish anything they set their minds to. But if they're out of balance, they can be overly perfectionistic, driven and critical. They can be controllers (everything has to go their way) or pleasers (exhausting themselves in meeting the demands of others).I gained some insight into who I am and why I do the things I do. It also helped me to think through some issues I was struggling with, one of which was whether or not I should continue in leadership in a certain ministry. I realized God made me the way I am and gave me the gifts I have for a particular purpose and even if I feel inadequate, He will enable me to accomplish what needs to be done. I was also able to put to rest the idea of "retirement." I actually had been thinking about it a lot in the last couple of years. But again, God impressed me with the ideas I read in this book that I am the right one for this job at this time. I just need to keep asking for insight and wisdom not to be a controller or pleaser, but to give my moments and days over to the Lord. That's what life is all about anyway, isn't it? Giving myself over to His leadership and guidance. I'm very grateful for His still small voice, and for never giving up on me.
Another book I've enjoyed recently is: Loving Your Kids On Purpose by Danny Silk, also recommended by Christy.
Why am I reading that? Aren't my kids already raised? The topic is relevant because I have grown children who are raising my grandchildren! Danny Silk had some great insight in his book, the most important of which I thought was loving our children as God loves us. He isn't a big old policeman waiting to bop us if we step out of line, but desires a loving relationship with us. We teach our children to respect us by having respect for them. I love the verse in Romans 2:4 that tells us "...God's kindness leads us to repentance." And isn't that so true? I feel much more inclined to repent when someone is kind to me than if they berate or belittle me.
Why am I reading that? Aren't my kids already raised? The topic is relevant because I have grown children who are raising my grandchildren! Danny Silk had some great insight in his book, the most important of which I thought was loving our children as God loves us. He isn't a big old policeman waiting to bop us if we step out of line, but desires a loving relationship with us. We teach our children to respect us by having respect for them. I love the verse in Romans 2:4 that tells us "...God's kindness leads us to repentance." And isn't that so true? I feel much more inclined to repent when someone is kind to me than if they berate or belittle me. One of the times Andy and I were at Walnut Valley, our friends who own this guest house, told us about Jesus Made in America.
It was written by their son-in-law, Stephen Nichols, who is a professor at Lancaster Bible College. Nichols traces through America's history the different ways our culture sees Jesus, beginning with the Puritans through today. The Puritans had a pretty balanced view of Jesus as the eternal Son of God, but through the years that view has been changed to fit America's culture and politics. Thomas Jefferson saw Jesus as a moral example, Billy Sunday preached a manly Jesus. Or what about the Precious Moments Jesus or Jesus as a conservative Republican? And if you listen to CCM (contemporary Christian music), some of those songs portray Jesus as my boyfriend. Nichols also calls attention to all the "Christian" paraphernalia that is sold - billions of dollars of it. The book is a good reminder that Jesus is bigger than our culture, a slogan or toy. He's the God of the universe - not made in my own image or the image of the culture.
It was written by their son-in-law, Stephen Nichols, who is a professor at Lancaster Bible College. Nichols traces through America's history the different ways our culture sees Jesus, beginning with the Puritans through today. The Puritans had a pretty balanced view of Jesus as the eternal Son of God, but through the years that view has been changed to fit America's culture and politics. Thomas Jefferson saw Jesus as a moral example, Billy Sunday preached a manly Jesus. Or what about the Precious Moments Jesus or Jesus as a conservative Republican? And if you listen to CCM (contemporary Christian music), some of those songs portray Jesus as my boyfriend. Nichols also calls attention to all the "Christian" paraphernalia that is sold - billions of dollars of it. The book is a good reminder that Jesus is bigger than our culture, a slogan or toy. He's the God of the universe - not made in my own image or the image of the culture.I enjoy reading for the challenge it gives to continue to grow and expand in my thinking, as well as just being able to relax at the end of a day with a good book.
Books are not made for furniture, but there is nothing else that so beautifully furnishes a house. (Henry Ward Beecher)
I find television to be very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go in the other room and read a book. (Groucho Marx)
5 comments:
I love that last quote!!! Ha!
Thanks for reviewing my books for me so I didn't have too. :)
That is a funny quote :) I wonder if they have a book about being the youngest, that first born one sounds interesting.
Actually, the book was written by a "baby." He also wrote a book about birth order where he discusses characteristics of 1st, 2nd, 3rd born, etc.
Love,
Mom
I envy you being able to read so much. I wish I "had time" to read more! If you want an idea for my birthday , I think I would like the book about being the first born. I definitely find myself trying to please people. I enjoyed you being at the picnic yesterday, but didn't get time with you like I would have liked. Some one mentioned you must have left and didn't say good-bye.
I've heard talk about the birth order book and I'm very interested in reading it. However, since it's summer, I have other "priorities"! But I'm starting a list of books to take on vacation next year, that's on the list. I enjoyed seeing you again, but also didn't realize you'd left till after you were gone. Maybe you left while I was up on the swing putting Noah to sleep.
Post a Comment