Only a few short weeks ago, we were digging out from a snow storm...but today is a new day! The days are still chilly, but the sun is shining and the birds are singing. Time to start thinking about gardening. We were inspired by our daughter and decided to put in a garden of our own this year. Andy's dad had a little one in last summer, but with food prices getting higher, we decided to plant a bigger one this summer.
Last year's little garden
So on Tuesday, Andy started to work on it. We had to move one little tree. Then he measured out the boundaries and dug around the edges of where the garden would be.
New garden - 17' x 26'

He also started digging a trench and laying pipeso we can have water out there.

We know someone who has a rototiller and he offered to help us out. So I'm hoping he can come over on Saturday morning to do that for us. Then I need to start thinking of what I want to plant. Hmmm...tomatoes for sure...maybe some zucchini, onions, carrots. And what about lettuce and spinach?
I can't help wondering, though. With all the effort we are putting in, is it really that much cheaper to grown your own food? Maybe there's more to it than just cheaper food. There's also a sense of satisfaction and fulfillment that comes from having FRESH produce from your own back yard. Mmmm...can't wait!
I can't help wondering, though. With all the effort we are putting in, is it really that much cheaper to grown your own food? Maybe there's more to it than just cheaper food. There's also a sense of satisfaction and fulfillment that comes from having FRESH produce from your own back yard. Mmmm...can't wait!
5 comments:
A little "farmer" advice: Get the onions, lettuce, and spinach in the ground as soon as possible. Lettuce and spinach don't like hot weather. When we had a garden, those were the first things we put in. Lettuce and spinach can be cut off and they grow up again making more good harvest. I don't do veggies any more, but it is such a delight to have your own fresh food out of the garden. Peas are also an early plant. You should have them in the ground as soon as March 17. Get rid of the bunnies!
Hey Phyllis
Yeh it is a "toss up"- -is it cheaper to buy or to grow your veges. What with water going up annually, I have decided to limit the amount I grow. I have some tomato seedlings in the house right now and soon I will go to the nursery and buy zuchini & Japanese cucumbers. That is about all.
Becky
cucumbers is a good idea!
all the work is definetly worth the fresh produce. You just can't buy food that tasty in the stores
well, all the initial out-lay is an expense, but next year, just spread the seeds, plant the plants and voila! I wish I could plant a garden - those ****** deer! and rabbits eat everything. I will e-mail you soon!
Post a Comment