Sunday, March 22, 2009

Spring - Really?

I was getting ready for work on Friday morning when out of the corner of my eye, I thought I noticed something on the skylight. I looked more closely, and to my surprise, it was snow. Now my curiosity was up, and I had to go look out the window. Sure enough, it was snowing and was even laying on the ground. It is only mid-March, but I thought it was ironic that we were getting snow on the first day of spring!

That reminded me of some pictures I took a number of years ago ~ April 9, 2000. The crab apple trees were in full bloom, the dogwoods were starting to flower, the grass was quite green and we had a snow storm. It made beautiful pictures with all that color.I think one of the reasons God has given us weather is to make our life more interesting. After all, don't we talk about it all the time? Isn't it funny that we think usual weather is so unusual? I mean, really now...March is known for its unpredictability. Yet when it snows, we're so shocked and surprised, and it's all we talk about. I have a little poem I like to quote:

As a rule, man's a fool:
When it's hot, he wants it cool.
When it's cold, he wants it hot,
Always wanting what it's not.

So this is my resolve: to enjoy each day no matter what the weather because it is a gift from God. This is the day the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it! Psalm 118:24

Andy worked a little more on laying the water pipe for our garden. I think our friend is coming over on Tuesday with the rototiller. I checked out some plants at Lowe's (I have a gift certificate someone gave me) and will probably get some lettuce, spinach and onions to put in as soon as the ground is tilled. Fresh salad coming soon!

3 comments:

Katy said...

Yeah! I like that post. i always quote that poem to Ricky and he always looks at me like i have 3 eyes:) whenever I feel like complaining about the weather i think of you:) love you.

Nancy Yoder said...

I heard you had snow in Jersey! It didn't snow here unless it was only a little, but nothing lay on the ground. We get so anxious for spring and warm weather, that we really don't appreciate snow after it has been warm a few days. I like your poem.

Becky Walters said...

Hey Phyllis,
I love your poem. I wrote it down so I can memorize it. For myself- -because I so often complain when it gets too warm. My mother, your Gma, used to tell us kids-it is not HOT it is WARM!! i used to get upset when she said that. But you know what? She was right.
Looking forward to seeing you in June.
Becky & Jimmy