David E. Yoder
January 20, 1997 was the day of my Grandpa's funeral (my mother's dad), just a couple weeks shy of his 93rd birthday! He was very much loved, and I still miss him. There was never a doubt that he loved his grandchildren - he was good at "spoiling" us. He always brought us treats when he came to visit and loved to tease us and make us laugh. He also loved to tease his wife, my Grandma. I still remember her fussing at him, and we'd all laugh and enjoy their fun.He and Grandma got married in January, too. I think it was January 1, 1928. We celebrated with them on their 50th and 60th anniversaries. I think my Grandma died in December 1988. Then Grandpa lived another 9 years alone without her.
My grandparents with our 3 daughters.
One of the things that I learned about my grandpa after he died was that he read through the Bible every year. He had marked the front of his Bible with the date of each year. I had read through it myself a number of times, but hearing that about Grandpa inspired me to follow in his footsteps. I had read through the Bible a number of times before, but since I started keeping track it's been 9 years.
It seems like no matter how many times I read God's Word, there is always something new to treasure and learn about. One of the verses that meant a lot to me several years ago was Zechariah 9:16. (And how would I ever have found this verse? Who reads Zechariah?) Anyway, it has come to mean a lot to me because it speaks of God's great love for His children:
"...They will sparkle in his land like jewels in a crown." We're His trophies, we are valuable to Him. What a precious thought. That got me thinking that our own children are more precious to us than jewels. So I told Andy one Christmas that I wanted a ring made with the birthstones of each of our children, so I could wear them as visible trophies, reminders of how precious they each are.
We used to sing a song years and years ago:
When He cometh, When He cometh,
To make up His jewels,
All His jewels, precious jewels,
His loved and His own.
Like the stars of the morning,
His bright crown adorning,
They shall shine in their beauty
Bright gems for His crown.
He will gather, He will gather,
The gems for His kingdom,
All the pure ones, all the bright ones,
His loved and His own.
Like the stars of the morning,
His bright crown adorning,
They shall shine in their beauty,
Bright gems for His crown.
Little children, little children,
Who love their Redeemer,
Are the jewels, precious jewels,
His loved and His own.
Like the stars of the morning,
His bright crown adorning,
They shall shine in their beauty,
Bright gems for His crown.
I hope I can be as faithful in loving my grandchildren and passing along to them my love of God and His Word as my Grandpa was for me.
It seems like no matter how many times I read God's Word, there is always something new to treasure and learn about. One of the verses that meant a lot to me several years ago was Zechariah 9:16. (And how would I ever have found this verse? Who reads Zechariah?) Anyway, it has come to mean a lot to me because it speaks of God's great love for His children:
"...They will sparkle in his land like jewels in a crown." We're His trophies, we are valuable to Him. What a precious thought. That got me thinking that our own children are more precious to us than jewels. So I told Andy one Christmas that I wanted a ring made with the birthstones of each of our children, so I could wear them as visible trophies, reminders of how precious they each are.
We used to sing a song years and years ago:When He cometh, When He cometh,
To make up His jewels,
All His jewels, precious jewels,
His loved and His own.
Like the stars of the morning,
His bright crown adorning,
They shall shine in their beauty
Bright gems for His crown.
He will gather, He will gather,
The gems for His kingdom,
All the pure ones, all the bright ones,
His loved and His own.
Like the stars of the morning,
His bright crown adorning,
They shall shine in their beauty,
Bright gems for His crown.
Little children, little children,
Who love their Redeemer,
Are the jewels, precious jewels,
His loved and His own.
Like the stars of the morning,
His bright crown adorning,
They shall shine in their beauty,
Bright gems for His crown.
I hope I can be as faithful in loving my grandchildren and passing along to them my love of God and His Word as my Grandpa was for me.
4 comments:
What a wonderful surprise to pull up your page and see Grandpa there. I too think about him often, Rod & I talk about how he used to tease Grandma. Funny how that's one of the main things we remember about him. Thanks for the reminder about him and for the song about being His jewels. Good memories.
I had to cry when I saw my Daddy's picture. The things you said about him were so true and I could add a lot more. I am so thankful for my godly parents and their taking us to church, the family devotions we had every evening,etc. I remember that song too. Some of the old ones are the "best". I like the picture of your girls with their great grandparents. Is that why I like my picture taken with my great grandkids?
I wanted to say and forgot, I have read my Bible through every year since the early seventies. Like you, there is always something special. I have underlined so many things that maybe I should get a new Bible and start underlining over again!
Sweet tribute! And there is no doubt about the love and joy you find in your grandchildren ~ how blessed they are to have you and Andy as grandparents.
Post a Comment