I have often seen robins around our yard in the winter time and thought it was strange.But when we took our hike the other day, Andy picked up a brochure at the trail head. It was very interesting reading explaining the different flora and fauna that are indigenous to this area. Then I got to a paragraph that was entitled: Do Robins Go to Florida? And here is what that paragraph said:
"Where do American Robins go during winter? They spend the winter as far north as possible, to be able to return quickly to the breeding ground and claim the best territories. Hardwood swamps in New Jersey, containing supplies of fruit, grubs and winter moth egg cases, sustain huge flocks of wintering robins. American holly trees all have grown from seeds dispersed by fruit-eating birds; American Robins and Cedar Waxwings feed on the sugar-rich berries during winter."
So that explains why I see robins around here in the winter. New Jersey has lots of holly trees, in fact, we have several in our own yard. We also have lots of grubs in our yard. I'm glad to know robins eat grubs. I like seeing them. They've always been a "sign of spring." So now that I've already seen a number of them, I'm hopeful. Spring can't be too far away!!!
2 comments:
When the next storm hits, will you still think spring is almost here? We can always hope! One lady at church last Sunday said she is counting the days till spring. You have a great picture of the robin. Do you have a special way to get them up close? If there is a trick, I would like to do it too.
Chuckle chuckle. Your a really good photographer(wink wink). I'll wait to see what the groundhog says tomorrow:) I can't wait for spring either though. I'm tired of being couped up in the house now.
Post a Comment