Sunday, January 18, 2009

Handy Andy

I got a call last week to make a meal for a couple who are having health issues. The husband is severely disabled with MS, and the wife has been diagnosed with lung cancer. So the menu I chose was: baked ziti, salad, homemade rolls, and cookies. I started the rolls first thing in the morning, and as they were rising, made the cookies. When the rolls were finally ready to put in the oven, I slid them in, then closed the oven door. But in closing it, it didn't feel right, and I sensed that the oven thermometer I keep in there had fallen and perhaps gotten stuck somehow in the oven door. So I tried to open the door to investigate the problem, but it was stuck shut. I pulled and jerked and became more and more frantic to think that the rolls I had spent all morning on and were supposed to be a gift to a "needy" family were going to be ruined. So I turned off the oven and tried to call Andy.

About 10 minutes prior to this, Andy had decided to take a bike ride. Yes, this is the day it was 5 degrees at 8:00 am! I told him he was crazy, but he was determined to try it. He has accumulated a lot of gear and is well equipped for any type of weather. So off he went. I called and called him, but he didn't answer his phone. There was nothing to do but wait. So I tried to be patient and hope for the best.

Sure enough, when he got back he was able to figure out what was wrong and open that oven door. The latch was stuck and he opened the door using a fork. He showed me how to do it, so I can still use the oven until he has some time to fix it for good.

I had no doubt he would be able to fix it. I have learned over the years, he is very gifted in being able to figure out how things work. I am convinced he can fix ANYTHING!

Even though the rolls had already been partially baked, I decided to go ahead and bake them a little more. Surprisingly, they turned out great! A catastrophe averted - thanks to Handy Andy!

What a guy!
This morning at church, the choir (under the able direction of Dawn) sang: Christ Has Conquered All. The words really ministered to me. For years I had understood the part about Christ dying for my sins and taking upon himself my sin. But there is another element to His death that is just as much a part of what He accomplished on the cross. Not only was my sin put to Christ's account, but His righteousness was put to my account. When God looks at me, He sees me through the grid of Jesus! So the song the choir sang this morning spoke that truth. Read the words and be blessed:

Heavy laden, weary soul,
Bearing up a heart of stone.
His Spirit comes to dwell in you.
And Christ, the weight of sin assume.
All my guilt is cast on Christ,
And His righteousness is mine.
What guilt should weigh upon my head?
For Christ has cleared it all.

The sum of all my sacrifice,
Though joyful, fails to justify.
I cannot pay for grace that's free,
Nor add to work that is complete.
Jesus paid it all for me!
This is my ransom and my plea,
What debt I labor to repay?
For Christ has paid it all.

Through the law comes sin and death,
But faith is counted righteousness,
So I will trust in Christ alone,
My debt to pay, my sin atone.
And I stand in confidence,
Covered by His righteousness.
What shall become of boasting tongues?
For Christ has done it all.

Isn't that a beautiful picture? I'm covered in His righteousness!

3 comments:

Katy said...

I like that picture of dad. he is so handy. that is one thing I really like about Ricky too, I am always amazed when he can figure out how to fix or build something. Ricky was just singing the words to that one song that you posted a couple times ago. He said they used to sing it in his school, it must be a mennonite song:)

Anonymous said...

Rod too is very handy and able to figure anything out. It is good to know that when I run out of abilities, he can fix all. God's amazing love, mercy, and grace, we never tire of hearing about it. How it blesses my soul to think that He loves me and paid all for me. Praise His name!

Nancy Yoder said...

I used to have a very good "fixer". That is why I sometimes call on Erik or Wendell. I am just not "geared" that way. I like the song you quoted. It is amazing how privileged we are.