Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The Front Porch

Andy has had some time recently to work on the front porch and progress is being made. He worked on it Saturday afternoon and took some time off work on Monday afternoon. On Sunday a young man (15 years old) approached Andy and said he really liked the front porch and could he help work on it. So Andy told him to come over Tuesday morning and help. They got a lot done this morning.

This picture is before the weekend. Years ago someone gave the church this scaffolding. It comes in handy.

Siding is done!
Working on the ceiling.
Wrapping the beams
In other news...
My most used pot is kaput! The handle fell off.

I tried using it anyway, but that wasn't a good idea and I had a hard time stirring.

These pots have a story. When Andy and I were in our first year of marriage, living in Portland, he going to seminary, I working full time to pay the bills, we got this invitation in the mail for a demonstration of pots and pans. If we went and listened to the demonstration, we would receive a free gift. As C & C say: "if it's free, it's for me!" So we went and listened to the spiel. The problem was that they made these pots sound like they were the best things that were ever made. We were told that they were so well made that they would last a life time and we would even be able to pass them along to our children! Wow! And of course, they would cook all our food to perfection with a minimum of effort on my part. Etc. etc. etc. We were sold! But they cost $350.00 and we had to buy TODAY. As soon as we walked out the door, the deal would no longer be in effect.

Well, I still can't believe we did it because Andy doesn't fall for these lines, but we did buy them. I really have enjoyed using them. I think they were well worth the money we spent for them (even though we couldn't afford them at the time). They really didn't last a lifetime - since I'm still very much alive. And I don't think I'll be passing them along to my children. But what can I say? It makes a good story.

4 comments:

Katy said...

That was so nice that Dad was able to have some help on the porch. I liked your story about the pots and pans too. I think them lasting 30+ years is pretty good.

Anonymous said...

Porch is looking fantastic. I have an electric skillet - same story. I love it, it is the best for bacon, hash browns, and lost of other stuff. Rod was convinced we needed to get it, before we were married. It cost $100 and I thought it was a waste. The handle has broke, the cord worn out, when I sent those pieces back they were replaced free, and it is still a great working piece. Isn't it interesting the stories we've accumulated over the years!

Nancy Yoder said...

I have cookware older than your favorite! I have three pieces of Revere ware that were wedding gifts sixty years ago and I still use them! I also have one (not Revere) that is a heavy pot, the handle is gone, but if I want to cook something slowly and long I still use it. It was my oatmeal pot over the years.

Alison said...

Your porch is really looking good! That's nice you had some help with it!