Rickett's Glen is owned by the state of Pa so we rented 2 cabins from them. We had been planning to have C & C join us, but because of Asher being in the hospital the week before, they thought it wise to stay home with him. It was disappointing for everyone, but Andy and I offered to get the kids mid-week and bring them back up with us.
We stayed in very nice "modern" cabins. Ours had 3 bedrooms and a great room which was a combination living area and kitchen and eating area. They were very nice and clean. I was pleasantly surprised.

Sunday, September 14, 2008Andy & I arrived on Sunday evening around 6:00 pm, unpacked all our stuff and went to bed. I slept 10 hours that first night, then took a nap Monday afternoon. Was I tired, or what!
Monday, September 15, 2008

On Monday we took the first of our hikes along the Falls Trail. There were 14-20 waterfalls along the trail, each one so beautiful. The trail was easy going down since gravity was helping us, but pretty strenuous coming back up.

I tried to get Andy to pose by this waterfall by sitting on the end of the cliff with his feet hanging over, but he says he's getting more fearful of heights the older he gets. This is as close as he would get to the edge. Well, I can't say that I blame him. You don't see me in the picture, do you?!After dinner, we both went for a bike ride up and down the hills - very taxing for my short old legs. We went about 3 miles. Whew!
Tuesday, September 16, 2008
It's so peaceful in the woods: no TV, no radio, no computer hum, no road noise, etc. - just nature sounds. There is no cell phone reception either. To call our daughters throughout the week, we had to go 8 miles into town before we were able to place a call and not get cut off.
On Tuesday morning, we went to the Evergreen Trail for a nature walk. There was a Pa. State Parks guide who went with us on the trail. She was very helpful and informative, pointing out signs of porcupine, bear, diseased trees, woodpeckers and other interesting tidbits about the woods. At the beginning of the trail was the Adams Waterfall, about 36 feet tall, pouring off the cliff into a beautiful little canyon.
The woods are so beautiful. I have always loved being in the woods. We had 12 acres of woods to play in when I was growing up. We would drag wood down to "build" forts, bridges, and other imaginative buildings. I would study the mosses, ferns and other plants that grew there. Life abounds in the woods: tall majestic oaks, tiny, precarious new little trees growing out of rocks and even in dead fallen trees. We even saw 2 trees growing upside down off the top of a cliff overhang. I think my favorite tree is the hemlock. Their needles are so delicate and lacy, and they have the cutest little cones.
Wednesday, September 17, 2008Amy was planning to join us on Wednesday morning, but decided to take a little more time to pack up before making the trip. So she didn't arrive until about 4:00 pm. In the meantime, Andy and I took another hike - to the top of Red Rock Mountain. There was a fire tower at the top, which was closed, but we could still see quite a ways: mountain after mountain after mountain.
Thursday, September 18, 2008
Andy and I left around 8:00 am to go to Christy & Christian's. We picked up Grace, Aiden & Naomi and brought them back up with us. We fixed lunch, then Andy and the kids went for a bike ride. Amy came over with Chase and Joanna. We spent the rest of the day together. After Chase's nap, we took all the kids over to the Evergreen Trail and hiked that one again with the kids this time. They were really into hiking, imitating their Pop-pop with the hiking sticks.

Friday, September 19, 2008Ricky came up in the morning and joined the party. Before he got there, Andy and the kids did some bike riding. It was really cold in the morning (in the 40's) but warmed up nicely in the afternoon to the 60's.
After lunch we all rode our bikes (yes, even me) to the lake. I sat in a beach chair and the kids played and played in the water.


Ricky and Amy and family joined us for dinner, then we decided to go to town and ride the go-carts. That was really fun. Even I did it. At the end of the week, we asked the kids what was their favorite thing of the whole vacation, and it was unanimous - GO-CARTS!Saturday, September 20, 2008
We took another hike on Saturday with everyone: Ricky, Amy, Chase, Joanna, Andy, Grace, Aiden, Naomi & I. We took the Ganoga Trail, 3 more beautiful waterfalls. It was a nice hike and the kids all did well.

After lunch I read to the kids story after story, then Andy took them out for bike rides again.
After dinner, Ricky built a fire and the kids (big & little) toasted marshmallows and made 'smores. What is camping without 'smores!

Sunday, September 21, 2008All too soon, the vacation is over. We left the cabin at 10:00 am this morning and headed to C & C's to deliver their kids back to them. We visited with them a little before heading on home. We got home around 3:00 pm so we had time to unpack, put everything away, have a late lunch, do 3-4 loads of laundry, water the plants outside (which didn't look too bad considering no rain and no watering for a week).
Tomorrow it's back to work and routine.
4 comments:
eric loves rickett's glen. i'll have to look into the cabin rentals when we're out there next summer!
You made me wish I could have been there, too. I could use some rest! I had my second cataract removed on Thursday and can't believe the difference. I too, love the mountains and your pictures are great with waterfalls etc. I still have a suspicion you didn't want to tell me when you were having your vacation so I couldn't "crash" your party!
Nice job mom. You are great at re-telling our "adventures" :)
I loved hearing about your vacation. Sounds great. Time off and away is great.
Post a Comment