Saturday, September 13, 2008

Stress & Distress

One of the benefits of memorizing Scripture is that the Lord can then use it to minister to the soul/heart of the one in distress.

Years ago, I memorized Psalm 86. I found myself this week one day in the bathroom at church, taking a few moments to breathe deeply, gather myself together and cry out to the Lord: "Hear O Lord, and answer me, for I am poor and needy." Was I ever! The week started with the distressing news of our little grandson being transported to ICU at CHOP (Children's Hospital of Philadelphia). Then going on in to visit and see him lying there so helpless and pathetic didn't help me feel any better.

On top of that, this week has been extremely stressful at work. The church is having a Ministry Fair tomorrow, which means all the ministries of the church will be on "display" and available for people to visit and find out about those ministries and how to get involved. This means that the office had brochures and literature to produce, copy, fold, etc. on top of my normal workload. I don't think I left work on time any day this week. In fact, yesterday I didn't leave until 5:20 pm, and I usually leave at 4:00. I was so burned that Andy and I went out to eat. Normally, I would have been delighted to have the excuse, but I was so tired, all I really wanted to do was go home and veg.

But isn't it wonderful to be able to lean on the Lord and have our strength renewed. "He will not grow tired or weary" (Isaiah 40:28). And today as I worked in my kitchen, I was reminded of Isaiah 30:15, "...in quietness and trust is your strength."

Well, after a good night's sleep, I have a fresh perspective. I played little Suzy Homemaker today, working and creating in the kitchen.

I made another loaf of applesauce bread, a loaf of English muffin bread, tapioca pudding, and taco casserole. I don't have a picture of the taco casserole...I put it in the freezer before I remembered the camera. You'll just have to imagine it! And I don't remember where I got the recipe. I think I got it from allrecipes.com but in looking for it to provide a link, I couldn't find it. If anyone is interested, I have it in my computer cookbook and it would be easy to copy and paste to you.

I'm still preparing for vacation. Will it never get here?!

Andy is busy with Nativity preparations. What??? It's only September. That's what I say, too. But it was decided to rebuild the walls of Bethlehem, so they had to start early. He's at the church all day.
Blogging has become therapeutic for me, too. It's like an online journaling. I am so much more comfortable typing than writing. Maybe it's age or lack of practice, but my hand gets very tired from writing.

I hope to make minestrone soup for dinner tonight. The recipe makes lots and lots, so there will be plenty for several meals. But till then, I can relax a little with a book. See you later!

4 comments:

Katy said...

That sounds so funny that dad is rebuilding the walls of Bethlehem. I like the journaling aspect of blogging too but Ricky says he doesn't get what's so great about blogging. What!

Anonymous said...

I also like the verse - in quietness and trust is our stength. I am so thankful we have the Lord to lean on. How do the non-believers live - I can't even imagine.
I too would much rather type than write, writing is definitely becoming a thing of the past.
And it is very very good to keep in contact in this manner.

Nancy Yoder said...

It was good to hear that Andy is rebuilding the walls of Bethlehem!
I too, had a busy day. I didn't get home tonight until past 9:30. The Keystone Bluegrass Express had two events today. The big annual celebratkion at Berks Heim at 1:30 and then tonight at the Mohrsville Church of the Brethren at 7. The church built a big new fellowship hall and had various events today and we were to close it off today with an hour's concert. We had a great time. I will be putting some pics on my blog soon.

Alison said...

We were so sorry to hear that Asher was in the hospital. Glad he's doing better though. I am sure that was scary for everyone.