Sunday, August 3, 2008

Sunday musings

It's Sunday evening, a beautiful day. The sun is shining, it's not too hot and there is a very pleasant breeze blowing. But unfortunately, I'm not feeling well enough to enjoy it. All day my poor intestines have been crampy and unhappy. So I'm staying home trying to cheerfully enjoy the solitude. Andy went bowling with church people. He was tired, too, but couldn't stay home because he loves bowling so much. He's not sure he'll be able to bowl because of his finger, but knowing him, he'll find a way to have fun. His finger is healing nicely, thanks to all who've asked about it. It still looks pretty bad, but much better. He won't let me take another picture of it, however.A couple of weeks ago, after a wedding at the church, there were a lot of big beautiful bouquets left over. So one of the girls in the office took all the good flowers and made several beautiful arrangements, one of which I took home to enjoy.

I think I figured out the name of the flower I was unsure of. I've concluded it's veronica, white icicle. What do you think?
You've heard about food prices going up. I was interested to see what the price of flour was since Meggan mentioned on her blog several weeks ago about the drastic jump in prices. I thought Whole Foods was a more upscale food store with higher prices, but after some comparative shopping, I've changed my mind. Shop Rite had unbleached bread flour King Arthur's brand for $4.99 for 5 pounds; and Whole Foods had the very same flour for $3.19. Hmmm. I think I'll stick with Whole Foods.

Last night we went to a party for Tommy's 30th birthday. (Everyone's turning 30!) I made a Greek summer salad to take along. He loves this salad, but Dawn doesn't. So I won points with Tommy by making it and bringing it to his party. His mom hosted the party at her house.
Yesterday I treated myself by getting a pedicure. When I was telling Andy's mom that I was going out, I told her I was going to get a pedigree!!! We all laughed till our sides hurt over that slip. I really should have done it earlier in the season because my feet are in sandals all summer. It was so relaxing and now my feet look good. Ahhhhh!
Andy worked on the front porch. The concrete truck came on Thursday and poured the concrete for the footings. Then a load of blocks was delivered on Friday. He started laying the blocks, but it was so hot and humid on Saturday, he couldn't work outside all day. Besides he had to come in the house to get cleaned up to go to Tommy's party. But progress is being made.











And lastly, I wanted to share a few thoughts from the message this morning. Pastor Mark was preaching from Ephesians 4:31-32 about forgiveness. A great message to hear, but difficult to practice consistently. He referenced Luke 6:32-36 where Jesus is telling his disciples to love their enemies. He says that our reward will be great if we love, do good, and lend to sinners without expecting to get anything back. Why? Because God is kind to the ungrateful and wicked! Isn't that a stunning statement? God is kind to those who treat him contemptibly, and he is our example. He has forgiven us much, in fact, everything. So how can we not do the same toward others. Of course, we cannot in our own strength, for "apart from Me, you can do nothing." But I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.

I'm so grateful for God's saving grace in the past, for the future, and in the present to help me live for His glory.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry you intestines are not well, hopefully you recover quickly. As far as the flower goes, I looked veronica, white icicle up on a search and I'm not sure that's your flower. The leafage looks close to the same, but the flower is quite different. But I don't know what it might be. Your greek salad looks delicious, Rod would love it. I need to make some pasta salad, it's been a while. Your "pedigree" looks great. It wouldn't be worth it for me though, I don't wear sandals all that much. I need the support of sneakers. It's good to see that progress is being made on your porch even with the bad finger. And lastly, our service this morning was so good too. Our pastor is away on vacation and the music minister did the message along with communion. It was very moving and spoke to my heart. Isn't it good that we can get fed and refreshed by the Word. We sure do need it.

Nancy Yoder said...

Isn't it great to be able to go to church, hear the Word and having it speak to our hearts. My pastor has been preaching through Joshua and there are so many good lessons there for us. He always has a Core truth. This morning it was "Spiritual success will be determined by how well we learn the spiritual lessons of scripture." I always take notes and I could tell you how great it was, but I'll quit. Also hope your tummy is feeling better. I think my tummy would feel bad too, if I ate that pasta salad or whatever it is. I just don't eat that stuff! I guess I'm not "with it". My tummy doesn't like pasta. It lays heavy in my tummy.

Katy said...

great post Mom! I think you are taking cues from Meggan's blog with the pictures. I liked it a lot. Good for you for getting your pedigree :)hehe. You deserve it for being the best Mom ever. I hope you feel better.