Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Thankful for a Dentist Appointment???

This morning when I woke up, I remembered I had a dentist appointment today. My first thought was UGHGHGH. Then several things popped into my mind. 1) the other day I heard someone talking about the aura of negativity that hangs around one of her friends. Aura of negativity? I hope no one describes me like that. 2) 1 Thessalonians 5:18 says: give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.

Giving thanks in all circumstances? Even in going to the dentist? So I took off on that and was actually able to come up with a list of what I am thankful for:

1. that I have teeth!
2. that my Mother sacrificially took all her 5 children to the dentist faithfully when we were growing up. I'm sure it was a time and financial hardship, but she did it because she lost all her own teeth at a young age and wanted better things for her children.
3. that when we lived in Richland, there was a young woman in our church who gave us free dental care. She pulled out all my wisdom teeth at no charge, and worked on Andy's teeth, and our children's, all free of charge. She put a new cap on Andy's front tooth and did such good work that it has lasted all these years (it would be about 25 years). Did anyone even know he has a cap on his front tooth?
4. I'm also thankful that I rarely have a cavity and didn't again today!

Enough of teeth...

I had a big bunch of bananas that were very, very ripe, so the logical thing to do is make banana bread. I have a great recipe for banana oatmeal bread - lots of fiber. It makes great snacks and having snacks around keeps the hubby happy.Andy is working on the front porch again. He started at 6:00 this morning in the cool of the morning. When I got up to look at the temperature, it was 65 degrees. He worked at laying the blocks for the foundation all morning. I think it was around 12:30 when he finally came in for lunch. The temperature at that time was 90 degrees. He said he thought he would wait till evening when it was cooler to work on it some more. About 1/2 hour later, I noticed he was outside again. The temperature had dropped to 88 degrees. So he had waited till it was cooler!!!

I love to watch him work. He's so precise and exacting in his work. Notice the level and the string he uses as a guide for the next block. He gains such pleasure and satisfaction in doing these projects and I'm the beneficiary.

Amy had told me about a recipe she had made: Raspberry-glazed Rosemary Chicken. It sounded good, I bought the ingredients and asked Mom & Dad if they wanted to join us for dinner. They did. It was delicious and I heartily recommend it. Here's what it looks like:

5 comments:

Nancy Yoder said...

I'm glad you are thankful for your teeth. Wendell often mentions the sacrifice of getting music lessons for all you kids. You know we didn't have much, but I thought that stuff was very important. I feel bad at times when I know you take your families on vacation. Sam's do, too. You know I would have loved to do that. The best we could do was take you to the Dairy picnic at Dorney Park each year. One year we made a quick one day trip down to Chesapeake Bay. Do you remember? I guess you are much more affluent than we ever were or hope to be! Good blog. I think I had too many memories I included.

Anonymous said...

I too am thankful for dentists. Ours is in our small group. I went recently when I was having a tooth problem and haven't got a bill yet. I need to make another appt to get some other work done. I did not know Andy had a cap, she certainly did do a good job.
You try to keep snacks in the house, I try to keep them out of the house. Rod and I are too weak, we overeat when we have that stuff in the house, so it's best to keep it out.
That Andy sure is a worker. He has done so much work on your home over the years. If you figured it out you could probably count tens of thousands of $$$ that he has saved by doing the work himself. That's awesome.

Katy said...

I didn't know Dad had a cap either! I need to get the rest of my wisdom teeth out but can't right now. Maybe I'll have to do that the next time we have a litter of puppies. Dad is very exacting with his projects isn't he. You think he has a little OCD :)hehe. You said that recipe was from recipes.com but it's allrecipes.com

Meggan said...

I don't know how long you've read my blog but last fall one of my teeth broke where I lost a filling during my pregnancy with Jonas and it was getting really obvious. I was really nervous cause I hadn't been to the dentist since Selah's pregnancy, so, at least five years. I hadn't gone for 4 years before that, and I needed 9 fillings, so I kept putting it off. Well, I got in there, and I needed three little fillings-even the broken tooth wasn't all that bad. It had kept me from smiling for so long. Now I don't mind at all. I was picturing extractions, caps, crowns etc. But no. Even the insurance was a blessing. We had no idea our coverage had changed and was fantastic! I am so thankful for our dentist, even though I have to ignore my past nervousness!

He and She said...

Yea Dad...nice string!