Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Ahhh! What a Life!

You would think that on our day off, I would sleep in. But I'm such a creature of habit that even though I didn't set the alarm, I woke up at 5:30. I could tell I wasn't going to get back to sleep, so I jumped up and got going. It was so pleasant outside, I decided to make the rounds of all my gardens, pulling out all the weeds that dared to show their ugly heads in my neighborhood. I also did some bush trimming and deadheading. It is so therapeutic for me to work in my gardens, it soothes the soul.The impatiens love this side of the house next to the driveway and makes coming home a sight for sore eyes.

Andy spent the morning tarring the part of the block wall of the front porch that would be underground - to waterproof it. He had also finished filling in the porch to prepare for the concrete slab. All together, he had put in 3 1/2 tons of crushed rock and gravel. That's 7,000 pounds! Yup, he shoveled it all in by himself. Wow! What a guy! (How do you like all the exclamation points, Amy?!)The tar needed time to dry before he did anything else, so on a whim we drove down to Lake Oswego for some R & R. That lake is way out past cranberry bogs and pinelands, but what a beautiful spot. Andy did some swimming, I read the Reader's Digest which happened to come in the mail this morning. We both also nodded off a time or two!

When we got home, I made a chicken salad for supper. It is rather labor intensive but well worth it - very tasty.All in all, it was a lovely day. But it's back to work tomorrow. Well, that will be fun, too. I love my job!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't you just love those days off?! I know what you mean about the alarm clock. Ours does not go off on Sat or Sun but we still find ourselves up around 5:30 and there is no laying in bed here either. I really needed to get out in my gardens tonite for my therapy - the afternoon was quite stressful at work. So I know what you are talking about the gardening soothing the soul.
Andy must have some huge arm muscles after all that shoveling!
Ahhh, time to relax and read. Good for you, sounds like you had a wonderful day.

Katy said...

I think I remember going to that lake with Dad before. It's nice. I think there is a lake Oswego in NY too. Are you saying I use a lot of exclamation points!!! :)hehehe We got the reader's digest today too.

Nancy Yoder said...

I am away ahead of you guys!!! My Reader's Digest came last week already. I have not read much of it yet- but some. Your flowers look so nice. Both you and Toot have such beautiful gardens, I think I may as well give up. I just have too many things I want to do! Sorry I missed your phone call.