Fight or flight - 2 ways people have of coping with difficulties. Some people hear bad news and dig in their heels and go all out to find ways to make it better or fix it. Other people give in or deny reality or try to run away from the truth.
As people have heard of what we're dealing with, some have tried to suggest alternative solutions: Did you try this doctor? What about these symptoms? Maybe you don't really have Alzheimer's, maybe it's something else. Did you try these foods, mind exercises, etc. etc. I really believe that people are trying to be helpful and are very well meaning in their advice. However, what they don't know is that Andy and I are both very satisfied with our doctors' prognosis. We have spent months and many agonizing moments attempting to discern God's direction and believe He has led us and brought us to this point.
I believe there is a third way to cope with difficulty - the way of faith (another "f" !). Trusting God in our circumstances, believing He is in control and orchestrating events and situations for our growth and His glory.
A phrase I've been thinking of lately is: "the fellowship of His sufferings." I was wondering what the context was and decided to see if Andy could remember where that was found. When I asked him, he was able to tell me it was in Philippians, but couldn't remember the chapter. So here it is, Philippians 3:10: "I want to know Christ and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in His sufferings, becoming like Him in His death..." Wow! Knowing Christ includes sharing in His sufferings. And I do want to know Him. How did Jesus respond to suffering? He did not open His mouth, but entrusted Himself to Him who judges justly. (1 Peter 2:23) Granted, the suffering Peter is talking about is to encourage Christians who were suffering for their faith. But I think it can apply to all suffering. Jesus was not a fight or flight kind of guy, but He trusted His Father's wise and perfect plan.
So as we live with Alzheimer's and Parkinson's, we want to trust that God knows what He is doing. We are comforted by His Word that promises that this is only a "light and momentary trouble," and is "achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs [all these troubles]." (2 Corinthians 4:17)
We are not fighting or fleeing, but are by God's grace and enablement, attempting to live the life of faith. Fixing our eyes on Jesus, seeing Him who is invisible - this is our hope and the anchor for our souls, firm and secure.
I confess I have my moments of tears and exhaustion, grieving our own kind of loss. But even in those difficult moments (sometime very long moments!), God's Word is so comforting and sustaining: In my weakness, He is strong; His grace is sufficient (2 Corinthians 12:9-10); nothing can separate me from His love (Romans 8:38-39). He is enough, He is more than enough.
We were able to spend some time with some of the kids and grandkids this past weekend. Dawn graduated with her second Masters degree on Saturday morning. Andy and I drove over to Cairn University to be part of that special time with her.
And on Sunday, Amy and Ricky came down with the kids to spend the afternoon with us, then go through the Nativity. They had originally planned to go to church with us, but it had rained overnight and frozen in their driveway, so they had a tough job digging out and didn't get down till mid-afternoon. We don't see them as often so it was fun having them here and it's obvious the kids love being here, too.
Don't you just love all those happy faces!






1 comment:
Andy and Phyllis,
Just read your Christmas letter. Thanks for including us these many years each year. I was shocked to say the least regarding Andy's diagnosis. I have said for years that life is fragile.....we must handle with prayer. And this news just substantiates that maxim. We are so sorry to hear that news......yet very encouraged at your expressions of trust in the Lord Jesus who knows the end from the beginning, and every step in between in our faith journey. I haven't read all your blog here but will catch up with your posts. Linda and I are doing well and still in Bellingham, Washington with two children and one grand son here and two children and six grandchildren in Portland, Oregon. Son, Chris and his family, attend Village Baptist Church in Beaverton where fellow alumnus John Johnson pastors and where Western professor Chuck Rodgers used to be CE Director in our seminary days. I get to the seminary a couple times a year for a Spurgeon Fellowship lecture. I've had you both on my prayer list for many years and will continue to intercede more fervently and frequently now that I am more informed about what God is bringing you through. Greet Andy and your fam............and 'may mercy and peace and love be multiplied to you'. Jude 2
David Erickson (and Linda)
Post a Comment