Thursday, July 19, 2012

The Beauty of Quiet

I've had an empty nest for 8 years and I think I'm finally becoming accustomed to the quiet.  It's funny how this works, though.  While the children were little, quiet time was so precious because it was rare.  It didn't seem to matter how early I would get up in the morning, a little person somehow sensed that Mommy was up, therefore, let the day begin!  And by the time the kids were in bed at night, I was so exhausted that all I wanted to do was fall into bed myself.  In those days, quiet time seemed like such an unattainable dream, a fantasy.  But as the kids grew older and relationships developed, time spent with them was more enjoyable and conversations were enriching and interesting.  So I got used to having them around, until in just a blip of time on the radar screen, they were gone. 

It's very strange to be all alone in the house, wandering around, wondering what to do with myself.  There are lots of holes in time with nobody to talk to and nothing to do.  But as to everything, there are advantages to the quiet.  I've been noticing lately a lot of Bible verses that speak to this very topic and they have encouraged me to use these quiet years to deepen my relationship with the Lord.


One of my favorites is Zephaniah 3:17:  The Lord your God is with you, he is mighty to save.  He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing.

God often speaks to his children in a still, quiet voice (1 Kings 19:12).  He does not push himself on us but it's his kindness that draws us to repentance (Romans 2:4).  It's difficult to hear God's voice when we're rushing here and there and distracted by the hurry, flurry and blurriness of life.  Jesus commended Mary for the choice she made to sit at Jesus' feet instead of worrying about preparing for company.  He told Martha:  "You are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed.  Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her." I wish I could remember those words when I am worried and upset about circumstances:  only one thing is needed - to sit at Jesus' feet.  Be still in his presence (Psalm 46:10), quiet myself like a weaned child (Psalm 131:2), rest in his presence, drink of his peace- beautiful pictures of peace that is available through knowing Him. 

One of my favorite verses is Psalm 116:7:  "Be at rest once more, o my soul, for the Lord has been good to you."  Part of being at rest and having a peaceful heart is a result of being content with where I am in life.  My life is blessed and I have all I need for life and godliness. (2 Peter 1:2)

So now that I'm enjoying the peace and quiet of my life, how about spending 2 weeks of vacation with 5 grandchildren!  Oh yes, bring it on!  I'm ready for some fun and frivolity!

No comments: