Sunday, May 1, 2011

Another exciting week

As usual, we had lots to do this week. Andy started work on replacing the windows in our kitchen. We put them in when we first built the kitchen 19 years ago. They were leaking cold air in winter and weren't closing properly any more. So they were due to be replaced. A couple of months ago when we purchased the new stove, we decided to go ahead and get the stove that has a back to it. It was only a matter of time before we were going to be replacing the windows, so when we had the stove put in, Andy had to cut away part of the window frame.

On Tuesday, the work began. But he actually decided to start on the other window first since he thought he would run into more "issues" with it. He wanted to get his experience on the back window so he would know more what he was doing when he got to the front window.

He worked all day and got it in, but still needs to do the finishing work. What a difference the new window has made, though. The kitchen seems quieter and no more leaking!

Taking the old one out
constructing a new frame (because the new windows are a little smaller)
the new window - in!
While Andy was working away on the window project, I did my normal laundry and bathroom cleaning. I also got Dawn and Kira and we drove to Perennial Gardens to check out what they had for a couple of spots Dawn wanted to fill. She got an azalea and rhododendron bush. The rhodie she chose was so beautiful I just had to have one for myself, too. So the next day, after work, I took Andy's truck and went back. I bought a rhodie and a japonica bush for myself, and a flowering plum tree for Dawn. We were unable to get the tree the day before because we only had her car. Here are the new bushes I bought for my gardens.
I had to replace this japonica because last summer's drought killed the one that was here:
My pansies are looking delightful right now.
And so are the redbud trees.
On Tuesday, with Andy working on his window replacement, I decided to tackle the lawn mowing by myself. If we work on it together, it usually takes us an hour to get it done. But with me doing it all by myself, it took me 3 hours. It was a lovely day, not too hot, but the wind was whipping up the pollen, and I suffered the next several days with the sneezing and running nose. It's so beautiful this time of the year that I can't resist being outside even when I suffer for it.

Well, tomorrow we're off on another adventure. But more about that later.

3 comments:

Christy said...

I like the new window! I had to laugh though when you said they were a whole 19 years old. I think some of our windows are 100 years old and super drafty. But replacing your 2 is a lot easier than replacing our 50. :)

Phyllis said...

Well, maybe when your kids are grown up and out of the house, you'll have the money to do some window replacing! So by that time your windows will be about 150 years old!

Christy said...

Yup, that's what I keep telling myself. :)