Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry.

I thought I had a fun weekend planned but it turned out quite differently than anticipated. On Friday afternoon, I was on my way to get my Mother to spend the weekend with me. But while driving I was talking to Dawn on my phone. (I know, I know - you're not supposed to talk on the phone while driving.) The conversation centered on how I was feeling with my poison ivy. I really wasn't feeling very well at all, the rash was spreading, had turned purple, was oozing, and my whole arm was swelling up with a red line leading up toward my shoulder. Dawn convinced me I should call the doctor and see if he would prescribe a steroid pack. So I called, but office hours were already closed. I called their emergency number but wasn't getting good reception in the car, so I called Andy and asked him to make the call for me. When he called me back, he said they wouldn't prescribe over the phone, but I had an appointment to go see the doctor on Saturday morning at 8:30. By that time, I decided it would be better to turn around and go back home because neither Mother nor I would enjoy the visit in my condition.

So Saturday morning was spent at the doctor and getting my prescriptions filled. I did get prednisone, but also an antibiotic because he didn't like the look of the red streak going up my arm. I was so tired and feeling poorly that I even took a nap in the afternoon. I had to keep my arm bandaged up all the time because of the constant oozing and seeping. Andy was very helpful - he makes such a good caretaker (much better than I do).

I had planned to have chicken on the grill with my Mother here (on Saturday) and had already invited Dawn, Tommy and Kira to join us. Since the chicken was thawing, I marinated it all day, and told T and D to come on over anyway. So that was nice to have their company. Kira is so fun. She calls me Teeta. I don't know how she gets that from Grammy, but it's obvious she means me when she says Teeta. It's very satisfying to greet her at the door when she comes. She runs up and with great enthusiasm says: "Teeta."

Sunday I was starting to feel a little better, and every day since then, until today I finally left my arm unwrapped. It's not even itching any more, but still looks pretty awful.

Today was a beautiful day - perfect for working outside. We hired a couple of teens to help Andy distribute 5 yards of mulch to all our gardens. They worked so hard they got it all done in 4 hours. I was really impressed and very pleased. Dawn had a doctor's appointment this morning and I watched Kira. She enjoyed being outside walking around and talking to PopPop, Joe & Keri. She's so entertaining and talks constantly. When I had her in the house, she would wander from window to window looking out and saying: "Where's Joe?" or "Where's Keri?" or "Where's PopPop?"having a little snack
After Kira left, I managed to get my house cleaned, laundry done and a batch of rolls made. And soon Andy's taking me out to dinner.

So what makes a good day in my book? Seeing the grandkid(s), getting work done, and going out to eat!

1 comment:

Christy said...

You had a red streak going up your arm! Yikes! Oh I'm so glad you went to the doctor and got medicine. Good call Dawn!

Glad you are feeling better finally. That's a bummer it did work out with Grandma since you had been planning it for a while. :(