Thursday, January 20, 2011

An Oasis of Peace in the Busyness of Life

We like to go away after Nativity is over to get a rest from all the activity we've been involved in. This year things didn't let up as they usually do until this past weekend.

Last week Andy came down with a cold, a pretty bad one. On Saturday he stayed home and rested and studied while I went up to visit my mother. We played some games together, then went to Shoemakersville to eat lunch. We each ordered a bowl of cauliflower soup that was outstanding. After lunch, I shoveled her front walk which was still snow covered. She never goes in and out of her front door because she has a garage door opener, but I cleared it in case she gets company or visitors.

On Sunday Andy and I went to early church, we had some obligations in the 9:30 service, then left to pack and get ready to go away for a few days. We drove up to one of our favorite places: Walnut Valley Guest House in Lancaster County. It's so private and quiet there, a perfect place to chill out. After an hour of unpacking and just resting, we drove on over to Amy's to have dinner with them. Ricky cooked up some venison wrapped in bacon with raspberry sauce. Wow! Was that delicious! Of course, we played with the kids and held Katy, too. I should say Andy played with the kids. They were very excited to see him.Katy was her usual pleasant self. What a sweetie. She's growing!The evening ended all too soon and we headed back to our little haven. Both of us had taken lots of books along, so we did a quite a bit of reading. Andy also did a lot of walking on Monday. We drove down to Ephrata to the Cloisters. They were closed on Monday, but we still walked around on the grounds. There were lots of walkways between the buildings and they had all been cleared of snow. It was pretty cold and I had forgotten to take along a hat and gloves, so we weren't really out very long. The afternoon was spent in more reading and Andy took another walk along the country road by the place we were staying. That evening we ate our dinner at Applebee's.

When we woke up Tuesday morning, we saw that it had snowed over night, but that now it was raining. By noon, all the snow had melted off the roads and walks, and we left to go home.Even though we were away, we were still somewhat connected to work because there was a funeral at the church on Wednesday evening. So people needed to contact us to schedule certain things and make sure of other details. Andy was leading the singing at the funeral, and we needed to tell the other pastors when the building was free to use for a service.

But it was still good to be away. I'm sure if we'd been home, we would not have taken the time to just sit around and do "nothing." I have a hard time relaxing at home because there's always something to do.

I'm thankful for opportunities to get away, a chance to be still, think, pray and gain a fresh perspective.

1 comment:

Nancy Yoder said...

I thought of you so much and wondered if you got to your "haven" for relaxation. The weather man says another snow fall tonight! Oh well, it's winter.