Sunday, November 14, 2010

We were planning to have C & C's children for the weekend, but their trip had to be postponed to later in the month. Andy and I knew the kids were so excited about coming here, so we decided to have them over for a day of fun. So we checked the weather forecast and decided Friday was going to be a very nice day. Andy worked on Tuesday so he could take Friday off. I took Tuesday off and worked extra hard so I could take Friday off, too.

On Thursday we left home around 4:00 after work and drove over to C & C's. We enjoyed a delicious dinner made by Christy, then packed up Grace, Aiden, Naomi and Asher into their van and came back to our house. When we got here, we settled down for the night in "their" room upstairs. I have a book of stories by "Uncle Remus" that I started reading aloud to them. They were giggling over the antics of Brer Rabbit and Brer Fox, and Andy fell asleep on the floor. It brought back memories of reading to our own daughters when they were young. I'm not sure it was such a good tonic for producing sleepiness to their eyes, but it always worked wonders for Andy!

After feasting on blueberry pancakes for breakfast the next morning, we got ready to go to the shore. Dawn and Kira came over and we drove down together. She actually had to drive separately because the van couldn't fit 3 adults and 5 children. Both the van and Dawn's car had cassette decks in them, so we raided our basement for story tapes to listen to on the ride to Ocean City. This also brought back memories: listening to story tapes on long car rides.

It was a beautiful day: bright sun, cool but not cold. The kids played on the beach all morning. Andy and I mostly stayed behind a sand dune that gave some shelter from the wind, but the kids didn't seem to mind and were running and playing as if it was summer.

King & queen of the mountain!
The sea was rough, but the sky was a gorgeous blue - a perfect day to be there just enjoying being alive.
I think Kira must have been the funniest. She would flop down on the sand, right on her face and move her hands around like she was swimming!All that play made us hungry, so we left the beach at 11:45 to head for the boardwalk and Mack & Manco. Their pizza is the best. We ordered one pie, but it was quickly devoured, so we ordered another one. Wow! We finished that one, too.After lunch, Dawn decided to leave with Kira so she (Kira, that is!) could get a nap. The rest of us stayed and walked the boardwalk. It's amazing to observe how the kids can occupy themselves with something as simple as walking the boardwalk. Some of the boards in the boardwalk had recently been replaced so they looked newer than the older boards. The kids made a game of trying to jump from each new board, some of them being close together and others very far apart.

We also went into a couple of stores that were open. We found a shell shop and each of the kids picked a shell they liked for Grammy to buy them. We were looking for a hermit crab to replace theirs that had escaped, but it's not the season for them right now. And a trip to the shore would not be complete without stopping at Shrivers. We bought some fudge for "Christy" who graciously shared with us that evening after dinner.

The plan was to meet Christy half way between their house and ours to exchange vehicles and occupants. But as we were driving up from the shore, we got a call from her. She was wondering if we had left our car key. I remembered taking it off my key ring and laying it on their table before we left on Thursday night. But she couldn't find it. Then I remembered something else. That morning, Andy had been walking around the house with a key, saying he didn't know what it was for. He thought maybe it was for a church van and he had brought it home. Well, you guessed it...it was our car key. He doesn't remember picking it up and coming home with it, but somehow that must be what happened. Poor guy, he must have too much on his mind right now.

So that meant we had to drive all the way back to C & C's house, but it also meant we got another delicious dinner made by her. I felt bad that she had to cook for us again, and at the same time, glad I had bought her that fudge!

There's just something so special about spending the day with children. We had a wonderful time and I hope they did, too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful time, to spend it with the grkids. I treasure every moment with ours. Looking forward to seeing you soon.