Wow...we just completed a full and busy Thanksgiving weekend. Wednesday evening saw us attending a Thanksgiving Eve service at church. Our current pastoral intern led the service. He had a band of young people lead the singing, then he did a short devotional, sharing verses from Psalm 106:1 & 2 & Psalm 107:1, 8, 9. Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever. Let them give thanks to the LORD for his unfailing love and his wonderful deeds for men, for he satisfies the thirsty and fills the hungry with good things (Psalm 107:1, 8-9). I liked his emphasis which was how appropriate it is to have an attitude of thanksgiving going into the Christmas season. Isn't celebrating the birth of Jesus something to be grateful for!
On Thursday, Thanksgiving Day, I spent the morning in the kitchen, making a batch of dinner rolls, a cherry pie and a batch of cinnamon chip oatmeal cookies. We left the house at 2:00 pm, riding with Andy's mom and dad over to Andy's brother Dan's house. Andy's 2 brothers and various of their children were there. It was a smaller crowd than usual. None of our girls and families could be there but were occupied either with their own family or their in-laws. (No pictures because I forgot to take my camera.)
Friday was a big day. I had decided that I didn't want to make a turkey this year, especially since we would be having turkey on Thanksgiving Day. So one of the girls suggested a brunch. Everyone arrived around 10:30 and as soon as food was warmed and put on the table, we sat down and partook of a scrumptious feast. There was French toast casserole, apple crisp, fruit and dip, 2 quiches, sausage & bacon wraps, and various juices and drinks.
Christy and Christian recently obtained a new camera so after we ate, we assembled for our annual family pictures. She got some great shots, too.
When we returned to the house, some of us played games, others visited, and the little ones had stories read by Grammy.
On Saturday, I was pretty worn out myself. My goal was to go grocery shopping and clean the house. I skipped the shopping and stayed home all day. I did get the house cleaned up, but took my good old time about it, stopping many times to rest and relax, even taking a nap in the afternoon.
I couldn't help thinking how blessed we are to have such fun times with our family. Andy and I know many situations in our church of people who come from dysfunctional situations, are divorced under hateful conditions, or don't have wonderful memories of loving family times. My heart hurts for them and helps me be even more grateful for what I enjoy.
2 comments:
Amen, and yay for family! Hey this could work out pretty great. I could take the pictures, send them to you and you can do the blogging!
.
Post a Comment