Every time I go through something difficult, I'm reminded of this song, which
reflects the theme of a lot of the psalms.
You turn the key
Then close the door behind you
Drop your bags on the floor
You reach for the light
But there's darkness deep inside
And you can't take it anymore
'Cause sometimes living takes the life out of you
And sometimes living is all you can do
Life is hard, the world is cold
We're barely young and then we're old
But every falling tear is always understood
Yes, life is hard, but God is good
You start to cry
'Cause you've been strong for so long
And that's not how you feel
You try to pray
But there's nothing left to say
So you just quietly kneel
In the silence of all that you face
God will give you His mercy and grace
Jesus never said
It was an easy road to travel
He only said that you would never be alone
So when your last thread of hope
Begins to come unraveled
Don't give up, He walks beside you
On this journey home and He knows
Life is hard, the world is cold
We're barely young and then we're old
But every falling tear is always understood
Yes, life is hard, but God is good
Song lyrics by Pam Thum
Last Thursday a very dear friend of ours had a massive heart attack and passed away
on Monday. We were shocked and deeply grieved. It's an irony, really, that death
shocks us when it comes, because it happens to everyone. But the Bible is clear
that death is our enemy. All week was consumed with preparing for the funeral tomorrow.
We couldn't stop thinking about how young he was (younger than us), how we hurt for his
wife and children left behind, and even for ourselves. He was a good friend and we'll miss
him terribly. Many Scriptures came to mind this week to comfort:
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil, for You are with me. Psalm 23.
The Lord is close to the broken hearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.
Psalm 34.
The Lord upholds all those who fall and lifts up all who are bowed down. Psalm 145.
The Lord is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth. Psalm 145.
I love the Lord, for he heard my voice, he heard my cry for mercy. Because he
turned his ear to me, I will call on him as long as I live. The cords of death
entangled me, the anguish of the grave came upon me; I was overcome by trouble
and sorrow. Then I called on the name of the Lord; "O Lord, save me!" The Lord
is gracious and righteous; our God is full of compassion. Psalm 116
Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O death, is your sting? The sting of death
is sin, and the power of sin is the law. But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory
through our Lord Jesus Christ. 1 Corinthians 15:35-36.
The Bible is just full of promises that encourage and give hope, even in our darkest moments.
I've also noticed a trend. It seems that every time someone dies, another person is
experiencing great joy: like the birth of a baby, finding out they're pregnant,
or some other wonderful news. So there are moments of sorrow, but also moments of
joy. Life has its ups and downs, but God is constant - Jesus Christ the same:
yesterday, today and forever. Hebrews 13:8.
Friday, October 8, 2010
Life is hard sometimes, but God is always good.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Thank God for the promises we rely on during times of sorrow. Through it all, God is so good.
Post a Comment