Saturday, July 24
We got up at 2:15 am, packed up the car and were on our way by 3:30 am. It was already so hot and humid and the forecast high for that day was 101 degrees - ugh! The farther north we drove, the cooler it got. Believe it or not, by the time we drove into Maine, I had to get out my fleece jacket. How refreshing. Christian and Christy and their gang arrived around supper time. Andy and I made it there an hour or so ahead of them which enabled us to unpack and settle in with enough time to also make dinner for all of us. After dinner, we enjoyed the dock and water before bed time.
Sunday, July 25We drove in to Greenville to attend church. The current pastor there is Ron, a brother to our neighbor and associate pastor at our church. He's been the pastor there for 4 years, so we knew him for many years before he moved up to Maine. It was a great message and good to see him and Joanne again. After church, I took a nap, then we all drove to Pittston Farms for dinner and beautiful scenery. The food wasn't that great but we still had a good time.


Monday, July 26My back/hip/gluteous maximus was really bothering me, probably from sitting all day long in the car on the trip up. So early Monday morning, Andy and I went to Little Moose (formerly Little Squaw Mountain) and hiked 40 minutes. That loosened me up a bit and I was able to function. After lunch, we drove to see the B-52 bomber crash site on Elephant Mountain. There was trash and debris from the plane all over the mountain, with trees and brush growing up all around and through the broken plane pieces. We hiked a little - all the kids did great.
Tuesday, July 27
I had a terrible night's sleep. My hip hurt - every position I tried was uncomfortable. When I got up in the morning, I took a walk to the Moose River Country Store. Naomi went with me, which made our stroll very interesting. She chattered the whole way with many stops to pick wild flowers (of which there was an abundance) or pretty stones or colored pieces of glass. By the time I returned to our house, my hip didn't hurt at all.
Based on literature we had read, we thought it would be fun to try to find Little Wilson Falls. But after driving many miles on unpaved roads, going no where or in circles, we gave up when we found a pretty spot along the Wilson River. It was a beautiful spot and a relief to get out of the car. The kids (big & little) had lots of fun, the water was so refreshing.


Wednesday, July 28Derek & Penny, Christian's parents came over in their boat and we all motored over to "Pebble Beach." Actually, we didn't all go over. Andy rented a motor boat from Maynard, down the road, and started out following Derek & Penny and I and the kids. However, they didn't get far when their boat conked out and wouldn't go any more. So C & C got in the boat with us while Andy went to see if Maynard had another boat. He decided to stay back at the house and have some quiet time so he never did end up joining us. It was another beautiful day and the kids had fun in the water and with all those pebbles.
We ate our lunch there and stayed a couple of hours before heading back. The rest of the afternoon was spent relaxing on our dock with the kids playing in or close to the water. Christian and Andy swam across to the rocks at the mouth of the Moose River, then had to swim back. It's farther than it looks! And they were pretty tired.
Thursday, July 29I was eager to climb Mt. Kineo - you can't come to Moosehead Lake and not climb the mountain. It's a tradition! But the wind was fierce on the lake and we had to put it off for another day. So we drove into Greenville to walk around the shops. I bought all the grandkids a new Moosehead Lake t-shirt, Andy bought a swimming suit (which he had forgotten to pack), I bought 4 different kinds of fudge to share. After shopping, we all went over to Derek & Penny's to get the boat and take it up to our place to use for a couple of days. Unfortunately, Christian and Andy couldn't get it started although they tried long and hard. It was probably a good thing, because the wind was really whipping up on the lake with significant whitecaps. Christy, Andy and I weren't too comfortable thinking about taking all the kids out in the lake under those conditions. So we all went back to our houses. The kids took naps, and Andy and I thought we'd try to find Williams Mountain. We had done it years before with Ralph & Ruth. We found the mountain and started up, but the trail was closed off and unaccessible. There used to be a fire tower at the top and there was a terrific view from the summit, but for whatever reason, it's not open to the public any more.
Friday, July 30
At 8:05 this morning, the outside temperature was 57 degrees - a nice change from the heat and humidity of NJ! A perfect day for hiking and we finally made it over to Mt. Kineo. We took the shuttle over, then hiked up, had lunch at the top and hiked back down. The kids did very well. Patrick and Asher were carried in Ergos on Christian's and Andy's backs. We left at 10:00 am and returned by 1:00 pm. Plenty of time for resting and relaxing in the afternoon.



I'm happy to report that even in the wilderness north woods of Maine, we still had access to the internet. Andy could keep up on the Phillies baseball scores and the latest on Drudge report, as well as his emails.
Saturday, July 31We finally found Wilson Falls. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. It was tricky, but well worth it when we got there. There was a rope swing over a pool at the bottom of the falls. Of course, Christian had to try it out. None of us had our bathing suits, but that didn't stop him. He went in, got all wet, then used his handy dandy knife to make himself a pair of shorts from his pants.

Unfortunately, I didn't write down which day it was, but either Saturday or Sunday afternoon we got Christian's dad's boat and brought it back to "our" side of the lake and spent the afternoon tubing and skiing - and I have the pictures to prove it!


That's Christian - up on skis way out there.Sunday, August 1
Went to church in the morning, sun bathed on the dock in the afternoon. Twenty-eight of our church kids arrived on Saturday afternoon and also attended church - a significant boost to their attendance!
Nice restful, relaxing "sabbath."
Monday, August 2Christy and Christian planned to go over to Lily Bay to take the boat back to the Lindsays and to visit because Christian's sister and her kids were there. So with Andy and I having the day to ourselves, we decided to hike Borestone Mountain. It took 1 and 1/2 hours up and 1 1/4 hours down. I went the whole way to the top, even on the dizzying heights.


Tuesday, August 3Cloudy with a threat of rain in the morning, so we all went in to Greenville and walked through the Moosehead Historical Society - interesting. C & C had a few things they wanted to do in town, so they stayed, but Andy and I returned to the house for lunch and reading. In the afternoon, Harold Ebersole stopped by to look at maps for hiking Eagle Rock. We decided to go with him and his wife, Shawne, but just as they came to get us, it started to rain, so I backed out. It didn't end up raining after all, but it's good I didn't go hiking because while they were gone, I had an unhappy stomach and needed a bathroom close by.
Wednesday, August 4
It was raining when we woke up with some lightning and thunder. We thought we'd be stuck in the house all day, but by 10:00 or so, it started clearning up. At noon, Andy and I drove to the Kineo shuttle, C & C canoed over with the 3 older kids. We had Asher and Patrick with us in the shuttle. When we got to Kineo, we all hiked to Pebble Beach. It was longer than we thought, but Asher and children slowed us down. When we got to Pebble Beach, Derek and Penny were already there with Kelly and her kids. We stayed a while, kids and guys swam and played in the water. Then Andy and all the kids except Asher went back in the boat with Derek and Penny. C & C, with Asher in the Ergo, and I hiked back. We made better time because of no dawdling kids! Andy, Patrick, Asher, Naomi and I took the Shuttle back to Rockwood. C & C with Grace and Aiden canoed back. It took them a little longer because the wind had kicked up.
Andy took another hike in the afternoon with Harold. He got back pretty late, we were already eating dinner. They had gotten somewhat lost. Thankfully, they found their way out again.
Thursday, August 5
I took a walk to Moose River Country Store this morning. It was 75 degrees with a pleasant breeze. I met Ron & Bonnie (owners of Rockwood Cottages where C & C stayed) who said as we passed: "It's really hot today - we're getting Jersey weather!" Hmmm...not really. We heard it was going to be over 100 degrees at home today. Ugh! I'll gladly take 75 degrees.
Andy was gone when I woke up. He had taken the canoe and gone across to Kineo thinking someone had gone over, had an accident and needed assistance. He canoed across the lake, hiked to the top of the mountain, hiked back down, then canoed back across the lake. He didn't find who he was looking for because they had gone back a different way, obviously not needing his help at all!
Andy and I went out to eat this night, then got an ice cream cone while we were in town.
Friday, August 6
Our last day of vacation. We left the house at 9:30 in the morning for a hike up to Eagle Rock. It was a strenuous 2 mile hike (one way). All the kids did great with only a few minor moments of complaining. But all the complaints were forgotten with the rewarding view at the top. The weather was cooler and there was a nice stiff breeze at the top which felt so refreshing after that vigorous climb.


Well, all good things have to come to an end, they say. We went to bed early Friday evening, planning to get up around 2:00 am to begin the drive home. However, I couldn't get to sleep (some nights are like that). Andy seemed restless, so I asked him if he was sleeping. He answered me, so I talked him into leaving then. So we did, leaving at 12:00 midnight and driving all night. Traffic was very light in the beginning, but we hit New York around 9:30 in the morning and traffic there was a nightmare (pun intended). It took us an hour and a half to go 3 miles getting onto the George Washington bridge. We were thinking we should have gone a different way, but heard from other travelers that they were facing the same traffic jams we were on different routes. We finally got home at 12:00 noon, time enough to go through the mail, unpack and take a nap.I'm very thankful for the privilege of being able to take 2 weeks vacation in such a beautiful place with people we love.
What would a visit to Maine be without seeing a moose or a beautiful sunset on the lake!

For more pictures, visit my facebook.
4 comments:
How nice to read about your wonderful vacation in Maine! The photos are great ~ especially of you, Phyllis out on the ledge so high up! Daring girl! Not sure I could sit there so calmly :)
Nice! I feel more relaxed already :) Glad to have you back and it was so nice to see you today.
Mom, I love your new blog look! Maybe you can show me what you did, I need to change mine too! Loved the long post, I like reading all the details of what happened and so glad you had a great time but very happy to have you back home!
I'm so glad you had a great vacation. It makes me wish for one even more. I have been working too hard! I will be at the office today by myself. Lisa is on vacation and Sandy is going to the Reading Fair. I loved your Maine photos and the peace and quiet you describe- I need it, too!
Post a Comment