I've heard it said we shouldn't call it "Easter" because the word came from "Ishtar" who was the pagan goddess of fertility. Well, there are a lot of similarities not only in the way the words sound, but also in the symbols and pictures used to promote the holiday. But I contend that God is the originator of the idea of spring and resurrection and the world has always been the imitator and distorter of God's ideas.
So I'm not going to boycott Easter with its bunnies, chicks and chocolate. Instead, I'm going to allow the holiday to remind me of the empty cross and grave. I think God was very creative in timing the cross and resurrection in the spring. What a beautiful picture - after the despair and darkness of the cross (winter) comes the glorious hope of the resurrection (spring).
Our pastor likes to say at Christmas time: "We need to put the holy back in the holiday." Holidays originally meant holy days. And certainly Christmas and Easter are both gifts from God for us to remember Him and His work on our behalf.
It's a beautiful day today - Good Friday. I had a day off work and spent the morning working in the yard and gardens. Andy and I worked together a little until his back couldn't stand it any more. We cleaned off the deck and raked out dead leaves from the gardens. A friend gave me some miniature irises that I planted in a spot that needed something.

After lunch I took my lounge chair and spent an hour relaxing on the deck in the sun. This was the view from my chair:


I was delighted to notice that the lilacs I planted last summer are getting green and budding and even putting out new little shoots.
I can’t deny it and have no wish to: my favorite time of the year is SPRING. The earth is filled with your love, O Lord. (Psalm 119:64)
3 comments:
Sweet post, Phyllis! Spring is an exciting time and so full of beauty. So sorry Andy is still having back pain.
Sending wishes for a Happy Resurrection Day! Jamie want us to visit the Haddonfield campus again so that is where we'll be this Sunday morning.
Love, Lorraine
SPRING is also my favorite time of year. I like to walk around my "ranch" and check how various flowers are progressing. I saw my rhubarb is sending up leaves. That always tastes so good in the spring. My next blog will likely be some of my flowers. Happy Holy Day!
I decided that I am going to put the "Holy" back in the holiday by calling in "Resurrection Day" instead. Otherwise it is sort of meaningless when you wish an unbeliever a "Happy Easter". That's just my opinion though. Love the flower pics.
Post a Comment