Saturday, February 13, 2010

Topic of Conversation

All anyone can talk about right now is SNOW. The news talks about it...did you know that currently all 50 states have snow on the ground? Yes, even Hawaii on the tops of mountains. And we're not talking about global warming anymore, now it's "climate change." Does that mean we're going to have to worry about moving toward another ice age?! Hmmm. Which could be worse, I wonder: burning up or freezing to death?

Well, here in our neck of the woods, we had neighbors who lost power in the Tuesday/Wednesday storm. But we stayed cozy and warm in our house. The winds were severe and many trees were uprooted and limbs were broken.

The snow is so deep that I couldn't walk around in our yard, so I ordered a pair of knee high boots. They arrived yesterday, so this morning I took a stroll around our property and down to the pond to see how things were. The top layer of snow was crusty in some spots and I could walk right on top of it. In other spots, it was powdery and soft and I broke through to the tops of my boots. It was quite an adventure! But I did get some pictures:

my new boots
huge tree at the pond - uprooted
ice skating, anyone?
or how about just relaxing by the pond?
a little snow cap on the sassafras tree

The sun shining the morning after the storm
We've received 71 inches of snow so far. And just think...the winter is not over yet. There are still 36 days till spring and sometimes our worst snowstorms are in March. Yikes! Where will we put it if we do get more?

4 comments:

Nancy Yoder said...

This is a real "old fashioned" winter. I just read in the paper about a local guy who predicts weather in advance- just like the almanacs. He predicted these last two. He says we are due for another "big one" on or about March 7. We'll see.

Christy said...

Did Dad hand shovel all that? He's probably glad to get the exercise since he can't be biking in this weather.

Katy said...

Nice boots! And happy Birthday! You should have gotten yourself snowshoes! They're calling for another storm on monday and tuesday (6-12 inches) I'm sure we'll get lots more, just not sure where they're going to put it all.

judy said...

you're stylin with your new boots. I have knee-high boots, too, but they weren't enough to get me to the bird feeder - had to shovel to give the poor birds some food!