Saturday, January 2, 2010

New Year's Day 2010

What could be better than celebrating Christmas on New Year's Day - great way to start off the new year! Because the girls all have their own families and in-laws, it makes trying to schedule our family Christmas a bit more challenging. So although Andy and I were by ourselves on Christmas Day, we enjoyed the quiet and being together and looking ahead to when we would celebrate with the kids and grandkids.

Yesterday was the DAY!

The first to arrive was Dawn. We got a call at 6:40 am to tell us she was on her way. Tommy dropped her off and went on his way to the shore to go surfing. She put little Kira down for a nap and just hung out with me while I baked a cherry pie and got ready for everyone else.

The others arrived around 10:30. We waited till about 11:00, then started opening our gifts. Tommy arrived, too, in time to open his own gifts!I ordered panzarottis for lunch and served a Caesar's salad and cookies. After lunch we all bundled up and headed out to take our "Christmas Day" hike - a tradition we all love. This time we drove over to the Rancocas Indian Reservation. The weather couldn't have been better. It was pleasant, mild and clear. There were still some piles of snow here and there - perfect for some snow ball throwing.

Yup, that's a buffalo!
Every time Asher sees a camera pointing at him,
he squints up his eyes! Too cute!Taking a break

After the hike, we came back to the house and just visited and played games until dinner time. I had a chicken dish, rice pilaf, rolls, pumpkin chocolate chip bread and broccoli casserole. We also had 2 pies, but hardly anyone ate pies because we were all so stuffed. I have so much food left over, I could have another party.

Dawn & family left as soon as we ate to get Kira home for her bedtime. Amy and family weren't far behind. Christy and her family stayed and watched a movie with us. They were going to loan it to us, but decided to stay and watch it with us so they could explain it and laugh with us. It is one of Christian's favorite movies. I'm glad we watched it with them, it made it more fun.

Today was spent in cleaning the house. It needed a good overhaul. On our hike yesterday, we all picked up tiny little pieces of leaves in our shoes and they were everywhere in the house, not to mention pieces of Christmas wrapping and toys under furniture, too. But it's a good feeling - spending time with the family AND having a clean house when it's all over.

1 comment:

Katy said...

I like that picture of Dawn and I walking with babies on our hips :) We had soooo much fun! The kids were exhausted and we didn't get home until 8:00 but it was a wonderful day. Chase has been playing with his zip track almost nonstop (only taking breaks to change the battery in the car- 2 times already!) Thanks so much for playing hostess! You are the best!