I did go over to see Dawn on Tuesday. We went shopping at a nearby mall. Dawn tried on some blouses and I held Kira. She was in a happy mood, smiling up at me like she was really enjoying being with her Grammy.
I've kept my impatiens in the gardens longer than usual. I mean, here is it November and they were still doing well on Friday...
But Friday night/Saturday morning we had a frost and they were all withered up and dead in the morning. So time to put in the winter pansies. This time, along with buying the pansies, I also bought a liquid "shot gun" to spray on the flowers to keep critters away from them. I hope it works.
I put the pansies along the driveway and in front of the front porch. I had dahlias in the front of the porch all summer and they were so pretty. I didn't think of taking a picture of them until I had dug them out. But I was impressed that from 6 dahlia plants I got all these tubers. Anybody want some?
Even though Saturday was a little on the chilly side, it was a pleasant day for strolling around the property. There is still some color to be found, although a lot of our trees have lost their leaves.
I thought the pond was beautiful with the leaves floating on top of the water and the reflection of the surrounding woods.
Then yesterday, we got to see Dawn and Kira most of the day. The choir sang in all 3 services, and I helped with Kira as much as I could. I was involved with the worship team, playing my bass, so I wasn't as available as I would have liked. But between Tommy, me and Kira's other Grammy, she was taken care of. She wasn't very happy in the morning, but by afternoon, when Dawn was here for lunch, she was much more cheerful.
Dawn & I took Kira on a walk in the afternoon. It was so sunny and warm, we didn't even need jackets on. Then Dawn left Kira with me for the hour she went to the church for choir practice. She did well then, too. But that little girl is getting heavy. Whew. I'm gearing up for Thanksgiving, thinking through the menu and making plans. That's only a couple of weeks away. It looks like we'll be celebrating on Friday so our daughters can be with their in-laws on Thursday.
Good advice that I read somewhere once upon a time: "Enjoy each moment. Too often we live in the future, just waiting for the next thing to happen." So that's what I'm doing - enjoying these moments of quiet and stillness. Soon enough they'll be gone.
4 comments:
I can't believe how big Kira is. So different from when I visited her. Also your pansies are pretty and yes, I will take some dahlia bulbs if you still have some. I had some several years and they were so pretty, but it's been several years since I had them. I was distracted when you called tonight and I apologize. Wendell did get my tickets for Texas lined up for January. You should see my office now. It is so nice and convenient. Love, Mother
I was just thinking how heavy she is getting today when I was holding her. She is growing so fast it's not even funny! Love your flowers Mom, thanks for babysitting!
Lovely pond pictures!
I had some Dahlias a couple years ago and really loved them but when I pulled them up and overwintered them they all rotted. :( I spent a lot of time doing it "right" but it didn't work for some reason. Someday I want to plant them again when I have more time. I don't remember seeing yours. Where were they?
There was a time when I relished each quiet moment, there never seemed to be any with 5 little boys running around. Now it's quiet and I sometimes long for some noise. Time changes things. I also have dahlias, and canna tubers. I'm trying to give away some cannas at church.
Post a Comment