Monday, February 16, 2009

Parties and Adventures

So Friday was my birthday. Andy took me to dinner at the Cafe Gallery in Burlington. We had a beautiful view of the Delaware River as we ate. And our meal was delicious. I had a salmon dinner and Andy had crab cakes. I thought we were coming home to a quiet romantic evening with just the two of us.

As I walked in the house, I noticed a back pack and another object that I didn't recognize on the floor. I thought maybe someone had stopped in while we were gone. Then I heard a baby and thought, maybe they were still here. I continued walking into the house, when all of a sudden a bunch of people yelled, "surprise!" I was VERY surprised. All our kids and grandkids were there, as well as some friends from church, and Andy's mom and dad. What fun! Andy had schemed and planned the whole thing with help from his mom. I had told him last summer that I didn't want him to throw me a 60th birthday party, so he had Amy make up a sign.
I'm sorry for the fuzziness of the picture. I took 2 pictures because the one was fuzzy, and I must have deleted the wrong one. Maybe I was still running on adrenaline from the party! Andy had made the list of guests to invite and asked a couple of people to make cakes and bring food. It was so much fun to be the center of attention. It did feel weird, though, to have a party at my house and not be involved in the serving. Andy also made up a Phyllis Trivia Quiz, which was fun to have people try to guess the answers.

True or False?
1. I was the 2nd child in my family
2. I went to McCann's Business School in Reading.
3. I was a member of the horticulture club in high school.
4. I met Andy on a blind date.
5. When Andy asked me to marry him, I said: "You're kidding."
6. I was born in Allensville, Pa. hospital.
7. My mother put marbles in my Christmas present boxes.
8. I sucked my thumb until 4th grade.
9. I once rode my bike 3 miles to school and back.
10. My parents gave me the nickname, "Fussy Phyllis."
11. I lived on a farm and was raised a Mennonite.
12. One of my children thought I was an alien.
13. I broke my collar bone 3 times.
14. I gave birth to 4 children.
15. I met Andy on a blind date.
16. Andy and I got married in our senior year of college.
17. I play the bass guitar.
18. I play the tiple.
19. I was a music / instrumental major in college.
20. I have lived in 4 states.
21. I have visited 6 countries.
22. I taught my little sister's Sunday school class and enticed her to memorize Scripture with candy.
23. My maiden name is Peachey.
24. I have 2 sisters.

He had corresponded with my mother and sister to get help on some of these statements.

So another secret came out on this little exercise. Not only do people now know how old I am, they also found out that I've been playing the bass guitar. (See Amy's blog.) I will blog another time on how I got into that.

Anyway, it was a roaring good time and I really appreciate Andy's effort to put it all together. And for my dear daughters and their families for coming all the way down to NJ to be a part of the celebration.

On Saturday, Andy and I slept in. We were pretty tired from all that frivolity the day before. But I did manage to get laundry done. And I dusted and cleaned the house.

So on to the adventure of yesterday. It was such a beautiful day that Andy decided to go for a bike ride. He went with his biking buddy, Chip. Not too long after they left, I noticed a truck pulling into our driveway. It was Chip's wife, Nancy. I sensed something had happened, and I was right. She told me not to worry, but Andy had had an accident with his bike and was on his way by ambulance to the hospital. I had never been to the hospital they took him to, but it happened to be the one where Nancy works. So she offered to drive there and let me follow her. Then she stayed with us in the hospital until about 5:00 pm. I was so grateful for her presence. She's a nurse and knows how to take care of people in the hospital. I'm terrible in the hospital. I walk into one and feel awful: light headed, weak in the knees, etc. It was so good of her to stay and be with us during the afternoon. Andy got there at 2:30 and we didn't leave until 7:30. He banged up his face. It looked really bad when I first saw him. The doctor called it "road rash." He also got a mild concussion. I am going to include a picture of his face, so if you're squeamish, scroll quickly past the picture. He actually looks better today because the blood has dried and isn't the bright red it was yesterday.

It was interesting for me to note that even in a hospital bed, Andy still has his pastor's heart. As the doctor and nurses were working on him, cleaning out his wounds, he was asking them their names and about themselves. He is so empathetic and concerned about others, above his own comfort.

I am grateful for the Lord's protection and keeping Andy safe (relatively speaking!). The accident could have been so much worse.

3 comments:

Nancy Yoder said...

Your blog is VERY interesting. I just wonder how many people knew the answers to the Trivia. Did Andy tell you he emailed to find out interesting trivia about you? Andy's face does not look very nice on the picture, but I'm sure every day will be better. Talk to you soon, I hope.

Katy said...

poor dad!:( I hope he feels better- Chase and I prayed for him last night before bed. I'm sure you are taking good care of him.

Christy said...

christian says "yikes!" What does the other guy look like?