Sunday, October 5, 2008

Creativity

I never considered myself an artist. After all, I can't draw anything to look realistic. I can't paint pictures or even walls & woodwork in our house. I've tried to at times, just to help Andy in his projects around the house, but I end up getting more paint on myself or the window panes, etc. It's better to keep me away from that stuff.

But I was thinking about this and decided since we're created in the image of God, we all have that spark of creativity and artistic ability. He is the perfect and infinite Creator, we are mini-creators. He created out of nothing and everything was beautiful. We create out of stuff we have on hand, and it is often imperfect and incomplete.

So I was being creative yesterday - in my kitchen. I admit I'm not as capable as my sister or my nephew, but I have my own bent - God-given, I might add. I had a good time just working away, creating a batch of cookies, a loaf of English muffin bread, another loaf of bread, this time applesauce bread. I also made a taco casserole and a blueberry-kiwi dessert.

By the way, I used to be a pretty awful cookie maker, but when Amy was old enough to start baking, she turned out awesome cookies. My own daughter taught me how to make good cookies. I am now turning out awesome cookies instead of awful cookies. I actually have people asking me for the recipe - a good sign!

Why all the creating yesterday? A couple of weeks ago, a 16 year old boy in our church had a skate boarding accident and has been in a coma ever since. He was not wearing a helmet and landed on his head. The church has been providing meals for the family so they are free to go visit and spend time with him, instead of worrying about preparing meals. So I made the taco casserole and cookies for them and took it to their house yesterday afternoon. (I also had a zucchini bread in the freezer and a salad I included in their meal.)

We also asked our upstairs apartment guests to join us for dinner. I made salmon on the grill for them, plus a rice pilaf, applesauce bread, green beans & garlic with turkey bacon. And for dessert the blueberry kiwi treat.


I was not the only one being creative yesterday. Andy was at the church with a group of guys working on building the walls of Bethlehem for our Living Nativity in December. He was gone all day. At one point I needed him because the lid on the applesauce was too tight. I tried and tried to get it off and finally had to give up because my hand hurt. So I drove over to the church to have someone with muscle open it for me. I thought it would be a good opportunity to take the camera along and show you what he's doing. They have a lot of work left to do. Every Saturday from now till Thanksgiving will be spent on this project.



And just as God was pleased with His creation and said "it is good," so doesn't it give us satisfaction and a sense of fulfillment to have a productive and creative day?

6 comments:

Christy said...

Mom, that is too funny! Driving all the way to church to have Dad open a jar for you. We are laughing out loud about that over here. Did you try the banging on the lid with a knife trick??
By the way, I don't remember that your cookies were aweful.

Phyllis said...

There was no one else in the house at the moment, and yes, I did try the banging on the lid with a knife trick.
Phyllis

Ruth said...

Next time you can't open a jar, take a walk back to my house. I have a handy-dandy gadget in the drawer next to the stove. I can't open those jars either! Love you and miss you, my friend.
Ruth

He and She said...

That dessert looks really yummy Mom!

Anonymous said...

Wow, you certainly were creative, both with the items in the kitchen, and with the wording on the blog. I like the way you make me stop and think about God's work in us day by day.
By the way, I use a little rubber gripper to open my jars, I have the same problem, my fingers and wrists are just not strong enough.
Looks like the Living Nativity will be a great success again this year. Maybe we'll have to make a visit????

Katy said...

I was salavating reading your tasty blog. I use a gripper to open my jars like Aunt Toot but there are still some I need Ricky for. Your cookies never tasted bad they were just a little "crisp" hehe;)