I can't help but wonder: if taking a vacation can cause so much stress, why not forget it and stay home...business as usual.
The week leading up to vacation was so busy with getting ready. At work, I did double time trying to make sure all my bases were covered for the week I was away. At home, I prepared meals and froze them so I wouldn't have to cook while away. All this prep did make for a pleasant and relaxing and refreshing and fun vacation. Then when we returned, I had all that work catching up with extra laundry, mail to read and take care of, etc. etc. etc. On top of that, our little upstairs apartment needed to be cleaned and prepared for a missionary couple coming this weekend to stay for 2 weeks.
It was quite overwhelming. BUT...in the middle of all the stress, I could sense God's presence with me. There were glimmers of God in my darkness.
Glimmer #1. On Tuesday, a dear friend of mine, Faith, came over to help me with cleaning the upstairs apartment. What a shot in the arm she was. I was so de-motivated and uninspired to do anything up there because it seemed such a daunting task. But she came in and started working with energy and cheerfulness. She stayed 3 hours and by the end, I was so encouraged by how much she had done and how beautifully she had done it. She surpassed even my picky high standards in the quality of her work.
Glimmer #2. Sometime during the week, I was reminded by His still small voice ministering to me that I needed to take my eyes off my circumstances and back on Him. He is GOOD all the time, not just when things are going well. I found a notebook in my drawer from many years ago with a quote from a message I heard: "Whoever has God lacks nothing, He alone suffices." Yeah!
So every evening this past week, Andy and I went up to the apartment to work. The usual after dinner routine is to relax and unwind from the day and go to bed early. But not this week. We had to move all the furniture out of the apartment one night so the carpets could be cleaned the next. Then all the furniture had to be moved back in the following night. There were errands to be run and things to buy to equip the apartment and make sure it was ready for guests. It seemed the list was endless.
By Friday I was so exhausted that I was on the verge of tears all day. Andy was so concerned that he talked to Pastor Mark and the two of them agreed that I should take a whole week off to just relax and stay at home. (Do I really want to do that???)
Glimmer #3. Andy and I went out to eat on Friday night. We went to Ruby Tuesday's and I had a delicious dinner of herb encrusted tilapia. It was so yummy (probably loaded with calories, but who can think of calories at a time like this!).
Glimmer #4. On Saturday morning, I went to a Ladies' Coffee Connection with women from our church. We met at a young woman's house and had an informal time of fellowship. It was so refreshing to meet with other women, interact with them, forget about work for a little while, and learn what God is doing in others.
Glimmer #5. After I got home from the Coffee Connection, I decided to see if Rizzieri had an opening for me to get my eyebrows waxed. It was pretty last minute, but it was worth a shot. I called and they were able to fit me in. So I went. After the brows were done, they asked me if I'd ever had a facial. I said no and offered an excuse. I just really wanted to get home and relax the rest of the day. But they started the sales pitch, it's so relaxing, you'll love it, why don't you just try it...So I thought, well, if it's so relaxing and I feel so stressed, why don't I just give it a try. So I did. It was all they said it would be and then some. I was so relaxed I think I could have fallen asleep. And then the best Glimmer of all: The stereo system had been playing soft relaxing music all the time, but right at the end, guess what started playing! Be Still, My Soul. How good of God to have me there at just that moment in that situation and to meet me and minister to me in that way. Who would have ever thought a beautiful hymn of the faith would be playing in a secular beauty salon?! Only God!
Be still, my soul,
The Lord is on thy side.
Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain.
Leave to thy God to order and provide;
In every change, He faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul, thy best, thy heavenly Friend,
Through thorny ways leads to a joyful end.
God is so good...He is more than enough.
All of You is more than enough for all of me
For every thirst and every need
You satisfy me with Your love
And all I have in You is more than enough.
You are my supply
My breath of life
And still more awesome than I know
You are my reward
worth living for
And still more awesome than I know.
And all of You is more than enough for all of me
for every thirst and every need
You satisfy me with Your love
And all I have in You is more than enough.
You're my sacrifice
of greatest price
And still more awesome than I know
You're the coming King
You are everything
And still more awesome than I know.
More than all I want
More than all I need
You are more than enough for me.
More than all I know,
More than all I can say
You are more than enough for me.
(Words by Chris Tomlin)
5 comments:
I love it when God comes down and meets us just where we need Him. He certainly is more than enough for all we need. Thanks for the reminder. Glad you have wise pastors who see the need to recover in times of stress and heavy work loads.
Did you remove what I wrote?
Isn't God Great?! I'm so glad you were able to find glimmers of Him in your stressfull week. Are you still going to take a week off?
Hi my friend,
Just loved reading your thoughts ~ almost like sitting on your back porch with you. Thank you for your honest sweet love of our Father. I have my own word for your "glimmers" ~ "whispers". They are precious gifts from our Papa. And I am seeing glimmers and whispers here in NC nearly every day. Isn't He wonderful? Miss you. Much love to you.
Post a Comment