Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Musings & Porch Progress





I am finally feeling better. Still a little weak and tired from not eating much the last several days, but the crampiness and pains are gone. Yeah! What was it? I think it was just my lactose intolerance acting up again. I thought I didn't have it any more and was eating dairy like I was "cured." But I guess it's still with me.



Pastor Mark's message was very good again on Sunday. In fact, I've been thinking and dwelling on it ever since. It was on Ephesians 5:1 & 2: "Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God."

It was a timely message right to me, because I had been hurt by something someone had said to me. So why do we love the undeserving person: because he/she has never done to me what I've done to God. Pastor Mark told a story about a pastor who worked at a rescue mission. He particularly ministered to one man who continually reverted back to his old ways. One evening he came to the mission so drunk he couldn't even go into the building for the free dinner. The pastor picked him up, placed him on his shoulders and carried him up the stairs to put him to bed. When he got to the top of the stairs, the man lurched back from the pastor and proceeded to throw up all over him. The pastor said he never felt such love for this poor man and was struck that this is what we do to God all the time and He loves so immensely.

There was a time when I considered myself the self-righteous older brother in the story of the prodigal son. I knew that self-righteousness was condemned by the Lord too, but at least I never ran away and squandered everything that He had given me. Until it hit me...I am the prodigal son. The seed of every sin is in my own heart. The heart is deceitful and desperately wicked. (Jeremiah 17:9) I have been forgiven so much, how can I not freely love others in return? The mark of the Christian is LOVE. I continually need reminding of this glorious truth.

I really like this picture by Rembrandt because it pictures the older brother standing aloof off to the side, condemning in his heart. But the love and forgiveness is so evident by the Father for his poor erring son. And that is the picture of God's love for me. I'm not off to the side, but safe in the Father's arms.
Andy worked on the front porch again today. He finished the block work around 2:30. He also took out the basement windows and closed them up with some of the extra blocks he had. What is the next step? The concrete slab. Stay tuned...

4 comments:

Nancy Yoder said...

From the front of your house where Andy is working, it looks like a very small house, but I know there is more back of that shot and it really is quite a roomy place, especially since you made all the additions. I'm sorry you can't eat dairy. It is so good. I think if that were me, I would "pop" pills just so I could eat ice cream and cheese and drink milk. Maybe I especially like milk because I never was allowed to drink it as a child. We had to save it for cereal etc.

Alison said...

thanks for sharing about the sermon from sunday!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for sharing your Pastor's message. It really spoke to my heart, to the point of tears. I really needed to hear that.
I must have shellfish intolerance. I tried really hard to like crab cakes this weekend but it just laid really heavy in my stomach and it just wasn't worth it. I love fish but shellfish does nothing for me. I probably would benefit from lactose intolerance too, maybe that would keep me from eating so much of it.
Looks like the porch is coming along mighty fine.

Katy said...

Thanks for sharing and explaining that Mom. I needed to remember that too!