Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Catsup

For being an empty-nester, I've seen a lot of our daughters and their families in the last 3 days. Yesterday morning, I drove up to see Amy and help her make catsup (she spells it ketchup and I'm using the alternate spelling just to be different!). We worked in the morning at washing the tomatoes and putting them through the grinder to get rid of the seeds and skins. Then the juice just had to cook down to the consistency of catsup. So all afternoon, it just simmered and cooked with us occasionally stirring the pot and checking on it.
The rest of the day, I helped Amy with housework and just hung out with her and the kids. We worked in her garden and folded laundry. She had been feeling a bit overwhelmed with all that she had to do, but hey! She has a newborn and a 2 year old. I think she is very productive considering. And isn't taking care of little people of so much more importance than getting work done? I mean, in 50 years what will you be remembered for: an eternally immaculate house or well adjusted children who've grown to productive adulthood?

By the way, Chase is well on the way to following in his daddy's footsteps:
Anyway, it was a pleasure to do what I could to help her. No wonder she was feeling overwhelmed. Look at this garden...
Pretty discouraging???

I got a path cleared and uncovered a rose bush!







And here's another kind of rose!
I stayed and had dinner with the family, then left so I could meet Christy at the McDonald's in Morgantown. I had left my sneakers at her house on Saturday and was wanting them back so I could do my exercising every day. She had been out in Lebanon picking peaches so we were able to connect on our way home.

I also talked to Dawn yesterday, by phone not in person.

So what did Andy do while I was gone all day? The concrete truck came in the morning and poured the slab and steps. They were done with that by 1:00 pm, then he had the rest of the day for other little jobs. He cleaned/organized the old garage and did some spot painting in the bathrooms. He went out to dinner with his mom and dad. In all my 16 years working in the church office, I've never had babysitting as part of my job description. But this morning, a young mom came in to say she had a strange question to ask me. She said she just applied for a part time job and needed to have a drug test, but they wouldn't let her bring the baby in. Her mom was in Maine, her sister-in-law was at the shore and she had no idea who else to ask to watch her baby. She said he was sleeping and he would probably remain asleep. I said, "sure, bring him in." He did wake up, but he was in a happy playful mood and sat in his stroller and smiled, played and waved his hands and feet the whole time she was gone.

I was even able to get some work done which I had a lot of today.

5 comments:

Christy said...

Just so everyone knows, I was not eating at McDonalds, just meeting my mom there. :)
Cute baby Mom!

Katy said...

That porch is looking good. It won't be long now.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Christy sure was quick to let us know for certain there was no McD eating going on. That was funny. I too, am quite proud of Amy, she has her hands full yet still gets a lot of visiting with friends, helping others and other stuff done. You are right about the clean house, a lived in home with little ones is much better than a spotless one. I'm sure the catsup/ketchup will be delicious. Mother's is always good too. Guess you have to do it all in your job sometimes. Poor girl, sounds like she's all alone, good thing she has the church family.

Nancy Yoder said...

Hey Phyl, When I make ketchup instead of cooking it done, I let a lot of the water drain out of the tomato pulp by draining them through cloth. But whatever works for you. I also save any bottles (like Snapple) that have rubberized lids and use those as ketchup bottles, but I don't buy Snapple very often, so I would have to put it in pint jars too. Since you are so good at pulling weeds for Amy, maybe I could interest you in coming and pulling some of mine! Sounds like a plan. I suggested that to Toot recently and she didn't go for the idea. Although she did help me already.

Katy said...

We were going to put it through a cloth like you said but we couldn't find one at any of the stores we looked in.