Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Productivity Plus

Andy and I worked our buns off today. Andy did more digging on the front porch foundations, then rented a jack hammer to get rid of some of the concrete from the old porch. He had called for a foundation inspection and the building inspector came out today and passed us. So now we can go on to the next step, which is pouring the concrete for the footers.

While Andy was working away outside, I worked inside. When he got hot, I got him a headband to keep the sweat from running into his eyes. When I got hot, I turned the a.c. to cooler! What a life!

I made a loaf of bread and cooked our favorite spaghetti sauce all day. The recipe is from my mother-in-law who got it from her mother-in-law. It's good on spaghetti and for making pizza. I'm tempted to try Meggan's recipe for pizza. It sounded sooooo good.

Every year or so, I feel the need to get down on my hands and knees and scrub the kitchen floor. Normally, it doesn't require a lot of work, but because the tiles have little grooves in them, dirt can accumulate. So today was the day.
It's so clean now and I'm happy it's done. I also cleaned my 2 bathrooms, dusted all the furniture in the house and vacuumed every room. I had cleaned the front glass on the storm door early this morning, but had to clean it again because Andy leaned against it while he was up on the porch with the jack hammer. He left a big beautiful glob of sweat right in the middle of the door - lovely!

After Andy returned the jack hammer, he borrowed a transit from a builder friend and did some measuring. I'm not sure what you use a transit for, but he sure looked like he knew what he was doing. That's his dad helping him.
On a brighter note, I took a turn about the yard this afternoon to check on the plants and was happy to see the crape myrtle bush I had bought a couple of months ago in full bloom.
I am happy to report that I think we've won the war with the chipmunks. I haven't seen the little critters around for a while and there has been no activity around their holes.

Next time I post I will tell you my Target story.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, you certainly were busy beavers. Isn't it a good feeling to get all that stuff done?! Glad to hear about success with the chipmunks, what finally did the trick? Hopefully whatever it was you'll continue to have success.

Katy said...

I was so happy to see you posted! Yeah for bloging. I was thinking about changing the title of my blog to, "If blogging is wrong, I don't want to be right." What do you think? You are crazy to have scrubbed your floor. It looked sparkling to me when I was there last week. You should see my floor:) You may be shocked.

Nancy Yoder said...

Phyl, Amy said you should see her floor. Since you are good at scrubbing, maybe you should do it for her! Toot had said she was caught up on her weeding, so I suggested she could help me, but she didn't like that idea. Oh well, I guess the weeds will just have to wait until I have time.

Meggan said...

the greatest thing i've ever found for cleaning my floors-especially the grout are the mr clean magic erasers. they do things i could only accomplish with bleach and scouring pads before!

and what pizza are you talking about?
*blush*

Christy said...

Mom,
Meggan is right. Mr. Clean magic erasers are the best.
What is your target story?